Animated Peanut Butter Lid Diorama

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
TC,

I keep getting an "error on page" every time I try to open the vids. I've tried quite a few times before as you were progressing, but have yet to see the model in operation and it's killing me because I HAVE to see it working. Can someone help me out.

This is too good to miss, I can tell!

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
zedob said:
TC,

I keep getting an "error on page" every time I try to open the vids. I've tried quite a few times before as you were progressing, but have yet to see the model in operation and it's killing me because I HAVE to see it working. Can someone help me out.

This is too good to miss, I can tell!

What you need is a Flash Player like Active 8 so you can play video off the internet.

Check this out:
http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/downloads.html

TC

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thank you all so much for your kind remarks. They are very much appreciated.

I had a whim that turned in to a day dream, and so I built it.

Sometimes I spend years thinking about building this sort of thing and collecting parts and pieces and drawing sketches. In fact, I have been planning an animated Halloween diorama for 2 years now. Last fall I was going to start on that diorama when the PBL challenge came along. I decided to use the PBL as a learning experiance and a way to experiment with small mechanisms. When I started I had no idea it would become so complex.

I have a whole bunch of Halloween peeps in "O" gauge that I have been collecting. I also have a rather large plastic jack-o-lantern, about 2 feet tall, that I will build the diorama to fit inside. This will be my first model in "O" gauge.

There are a lot of firsts in the PBL model. The first time I made a tree with the "ball of batten" technique. the first time I ever did the peeling paint effect on the fence. The first also for painting LPBs. My first go at planting brush, weeds and tufts of grass. The first time I used MikeC's "kitty litter in the paint" trick.

To be honest, there are some parts I am not happy with, but I was in a hurry to complete the thing on time so I had to settle. I never got the bark detail on the tree the way I wanted. I saw an article where the fellow used Child's Library Paste to get a terrific cracked texture on the trunk, but I was unable to find a jar of that paste anywhere around here, and I looked for weeks. The foliage on the tree looks awfull, I think. I was wanting something more translucent. The tree turned out to be blobs of green on sticks (IMO). My wife liked the tree without any greenery on it, like the tree was dead, but I hadn't allowed for this and the ends of the branches were too thick and heavy. Being so close to finishing, I was not about to re-carve the tree, so I went for my original idea.

Anyway, I'm glad to get the thing off my bench and now I can work on other projects that are less intense. I joined the MOW challenge, so I might see you over there. It was a whole lot of fun and I am looking forward to the next animated diorama. That will be the Halloween one.

TrainClown :wave:

Justin

Mar 15, 2007
Very neat!!!!!!!!! Its unique to me because I've never seen anything like it before!!!!! Maybe you can make a video of it in action!

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
My first thought was "Holy S-----"! You are absolutely amazing. Not to forget to mention talented and a true genius. Maybe you could point me in the right direction for a SIMPLE motor to actuate a pump jack for my HO railroad. A working pump jack has been in the back of my mind for a long time now and I would bet that would be a no brainer for you.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
XavierJ123 said:
Maybe you could point me in the right direction for a SIMPLE motor to actuate a pump jack for my HO railroad.
Hi Xavier. What you want is something with less work to get the RPM down than what I went through. What I would say to you is, get yourself an old rotisserie motor off of a barbecue. You can find some that work on 110 volt and some that are battery operated. You can run a battery operated one off of a transformer.

You should have a close look at how the truck is made to move with a waffle wheel. This would be best as it creates a straight pull/push type of movement.

The waffle wheel would allow you to choose the amount of lifts per one rotation of the motor and this would solve any problem of getting a motor that moved too slow, because you could have 2 or 3 lifts per rotation.

Use springs and not elastic bands, they last way longer and are more reliable. Keep the spring as close to the main power wheel as possible, this reduces friction on you pump jack model and on the whole mechanism.
Only use as much spring tension as necessary to do the job. Use soft pulling springs as they have less
tension. If you can make gravity do the work of the spring, that's even better.

Remember to keep all axle tolerances as close as possible so you machine runs quiet. If one of the bearings is sloppy, it will talk and brake down sooner. It would be like building it wore out.

Anything else you want to know, just ask.

TrainClown​

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Thank you for sharing, nice modeling, and an intruging mechanism. I'll have to study this carefully, there is stuff in there I need to learn.

Bill Nelson