animated accessory plans

vdegrazia

Jan 3, 2006
Does anyone know of a source for animated accessory plans for items such as ferris wheels, playground swings, amusment park rides, etc.?

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Use your ingenuity

I am making an animated scene. I am making my own drive mechanism. I bought a motor that is already geared to 40 rpm. I made gears with a hole saw, use a bolt for an axle and lamp chain to connect the power. I cut a saw cut around the wooden wheel and used a diamond ball bit in my Dremel to carve the sockets for the chain. There has to be an idler arm to keep the chain from going slack on the out feed side of the drive wheel.

Not that hard to make. I can take power off the end drive wheel in a variety of ways.

TC :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_6535.jpg
    IMG_6535.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_6538.jpg
    IMG_6538.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 129

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
We have an animated carnival on our club layout but I've never seen it operate. The member who built it is deceased and his wife donated it to the club. Anybody want to spend the winter in Montana and see if they can make it operational? It's only 9 degrees here tonight.

vdegrazia

Jan 3, 2006
TC: I am using basically the same process except I use large O rings for the drive belts and make pully's with V grooves. My problem is finding motors geared low enough to get the appropiate slow speed.
Where did you get the motor geared to 42RPM?

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
There is a place here called Princess Auto. They sell mostly farm equipment and accessories as well as trailer parts and welders and other tools and stuff. There is a big section where they sell off surplus items such as used motors of all sorts and other miscellaneous cra ...... er ....stuff.

You should look for a store that sells surplus stuff. Another good motor is one used to turn rotisseries on barbecues. You can get some battery operated ones cheap and might also find one at a second hand shop or yard sale.

By the way. I tried rubber bands with unsatisfactory results. The elastic would stretch and this would cause the final drive wheel to stall when the load caused by the mechanism increased (as in, changed directions from a pull to a push) I would think that there would be less stretch in an O ring so this problem would not arise.

Are you using idler wheels to keep tension on your belts? I have found that using an idler wheel is the best way to keep just the right tension on the drive belt/chain. I am not using bearings in my wheels, but if there is a lot of belt tension I would think a bearing would be necessary for reliable operation. I am using 1 1/2" and 2" bolts so that my wheels turn on the smooth shaft of the bolt instead of on the threads. (sort of a bearing, well, less friction anyway.)

With the chain I am using it is a good thing my motor turns so slow. I don't think it would work well for a high rpm motor. Your O ring belts would be perfect for higher speed orporation. You wold have to build a simple transmission. You can reduce speed quite rapidly going from the smallest pulley on the motor to a much larger pulley with a small pulley glued to the side that would then run a large pulley and so on until you get the rpm you need. (I suppose you already know that)

Anyway, I'm including a pic of the idler wheels on my current mechanism. Also a pic of a cam wheel that will operate stuff in my scene. The cam wheel turns clockwise. There are leavers on the end of the brass arms that you can't see in this pic. To see the thing in action in a short video, go to:

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j268/TrainClown/VODEOSTUFF/?action=view&current=MVI_6645.flv

TC

Attachments

• IMG_6660.jpg
    IMG_6660.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6657.jpg
    IMG_6657.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 107

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
MasonJar said:
That's some cool animation stuff Chris! What does the mechanism with the wooden gears do?

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. This is for a peanut butter lid challenge I am working on. My theme is a tree house with kids and dogs playing. This machine will make some of the kids move.

I will post more pix once done. Here is a teaser.

TC :wave:

Attachments

• IMG_6449.jpg
    IMG_6449.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 90

vdegrazia

Jan 3, 2006
TC; Thanks for the hint. I doug out an old barbecue rotissery motor and it will work just fine.