Analog powerpacks with DCC locomotives?

cbuttre835

Been lurking here for awhile, decided to finally register. Have always wanted a model railroad, and now that the 3 yr. old has expressed an interest in trains I have a tad more ammo for justification.

I read in another thread elsewhere that the trains I have are "toys"; and I agree. (2 Bachmann very flimsy lighweight plastic ones that came with 2 sets I have.)

My question is; if I purchase a "real" model locomotive, such as a Bachmann Spectrum or another DCC-ready loco, is it absolutely necessary to run it on a DCC controller or can it be run on my existing analog transformers? (my "layout" as it is right now is only one electrical zone and I only run one train at a time).

I assume DCC-ready implies that the decoder is not in place? When time to go to DCC comes, I must install the decoders? Is this correct?

Thanks....

cbuttre835

tanks...

OK, cool.

I read the "DCC Laws" in one of the links in the sticky above, and what I'm boiling it down to is that there's an NMRA std. for DCC control, and also the decoder - loco (or other equipment that accepts a decoder) connection - the 8 pin Plug-n-Play.

He (railwaybob) indicates that all decoders must work with all command stations, but command stations of one mfr. don't necessarily have to play nicely with other mfrs' boosters, throttles, etc (system components). That is, there's a universal decoder to command center interface, but the control / booster/ throttle system should be checked prior to purchase for compatibility.

Is this correct?

Any other tips for a HO model RR newbie?