An "old" Photograph

Another attempt to recreate the appearance of old fashioned selenium and sepia toned prints.

Attachments

• sepiap-carmacshop18-2w.jpg
    sepiap-carmacshop18-2w.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 182
That's great Casey.
I think old time models & scenery really come off much more realistically in monochrome.
Bill S

GNRail

I missed the first attempted but this one really gives the effect of an old picture. Now for the 64 cent question. How did you do it?

Garry

Thanks, folks. Jon, I'm working on a couple of "possibilities," but my photo manipulation skills are nowhere the equal of the guys who have already entered the "Magic" contest. There's some really good stuff there. :)

Garry, this started as a full-color pic which I reduced to "grayscale" in Photoshop. Then I changed it to "duotone mode." In the Duotone Options dialog I experimented with several Pantone colors combined with black until I found one which came close to the old Kodak selenium toner. It's actually easier than it sounds - especially because I barely know what I'm doing anyway... :rolleyes: :D

Paul Davis

Makes me wonder that if a black and white photo of a model looks more realistic than the colour version does that maybe mean that when we model we're not getting the colours quite right?

Originally posted by Paul Davis
Makes me wonder that if a black and white photo of a model looks more realistic than the colour version does that maybe mean that when we model we're not getting the colours quite right?

Ummm, in some cases, probably. In others, I don't know. The whole issue of color and modeling is affected by many factors. One of those is individual perception of color. Another involves the actual materials used. Eventually that leads to issues surrounding cost/quality of paints, chalks, and other items.

And then there's the problem of lighting and how different sources of light affect color perception.

Of course, when we look at photos on our computers, the whole question gets really muddy because of differences in how monitors render and display colors.

Anyway, for the sake of comparison, here's the original before I attacked it with Photoshop.:p

Attachments

• pipecarmachineshop18w.jpg
    pipecarmachineshop18w.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 134
Paul,
No, I think what it is --- at least to my eyes --- is that there was not color photography in the "old days". So we only see monochrome photos of old stuff. So that's what seems normal.....
Bill S

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Casey, Thats a sweet photo you did there my friend, I like doing that myself sometimes, take a Colour photo and re-hash it into Black & White. Here's one slightly different inasmuch as it's Black & White, with just a hint of colour. Taken from my old Badger Creek Lumber Company.

Shamus
sunup.jpg

jon-monon

Originally posted by Casey Feedwater
Thanks, folks. Jon, I'm working on a couple of "possibilities," but my photo manipulation skills are nowhere the equal of the guys who have already entered the "Magic" contest. There's some really good stuff there. :)

Looks like you got it all figured out!

Nice one Shamus!

I have agree with Bill that B&W looks old, like the era being modeled. Not so much that the colors are off.

GNRail

Thanks for the secrets.

One comment on the difference between the colour and BW/Sepia photos. After playing with photography in another hobby life I found that sometimes colour photos hide texture and details that only appear when the colour is stripped away.

Another aside. When black and white or sepia tone were the only game in town, there use to be people employed to actually colour the pictures to add colour details. I know it was done in portraits (were have one of my great grandfather and on of our family friends use to do it) and assume it was done for other pictures as well. They appear similar to Shamus's picture with pastel tones.

Garry

Originally posted by GNRail
Another aside. When black and white or sepia tone were the only game in town, there use to be people employed to actually colour the pictures to add colour details. I know it was done in portraits (were have one of my great grandfather and on of our family friends use to do it) and assume it was done for other pictures as well. They appear similar to Shamus's picture with pastel tones.

Garry

Garry, there are those who still do it. In fact, hand coloring photos is making a big comeback in the "photo art" circles. It's a skill that's even being taught in high school photography and art classes now.

The most popular of the tinting colors are made by Marshalls. They are available from most of the larger photo stores. I think Dick Blick may also carry them.

Shamus, that's a great scene. I remember it well! Black & white or color, it's well worth looking at again! :)

Drew1125

Hi Casey!
The real beauty of the photo is that your (& Shamus') era, & style of modeling fit so well...in fact, are inhanced by that style of photography!
Fantastic modeling & photo!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks, Charlie.

Here is one of the OVT&L's work train crossing Millers Creek on its way up to Piskie's Landing.

Attachments

• worktrain25wbw.jpg
    worktrain25wbw.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 73

Drew1125

Another excellent photo, Casey!:cool:

Here's another ome I did...once again, a bad color photo is improved by removing the color, & adding some other little "tweaks"!:D

Attachments

• trsl1.jpg
    trsl1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 38

penngg1

Sepia photos

Hi Casey
I'm restoring photos my Grandfather shot on glass plate negitives. Have you thought of scanning the photos with a tan filter or using a tan lense filter? :)
BUD

Bud, I hadn't thought about doing anything like that. The original photos were shot with my digital camera rather than film, so there's no print to scan. I just imported the files into Photoshop7 and went from there.