an observation

N

nachoman

Has anyone else noticed there have been more Lionel threads lately? I think it is great. Wish I had some lionel to set up on the floor right now. The cat would go crazy chasing that down!

kevin

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Kevin, I think it's understandable with Lionel's current marketing and the fact that some box stores are carrying them in their toy department.

I really hate the cheap train sets that some box stores carry and think that they help turn people away from the hobby when it breaks right away or they have track problem.

I have been very happy to see in the last couple of years Wal Mart carrying the Atearn John Deer starter sets, Target with Lionel but I still see a lot of the really cheap Life Like stuff out there.

Rick

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
oldtanker said:
Kevin, I think it's understandable with Lionel's current marketing and the fact that some box stores are carrying them in their toy department.

I really hate the cheap train sets that some box stores carry and think that they help turn people away from the hobby when it breaks right away or they have track problem.

I have been very happy to see in the last couple of years Wal Mart carrying the Atearn John Deer starter sets, Target with Lionel but I still see a lot of the really cheap Life Like stuff out there.

Rick

I agree. I've seen the same thing with guitars. If the tools (toys) to start a hobby do not function adequately...people don't continue with the hobby. I don't think train sets should ever include plastic track...nor do I think that guitars not carried also in music stores should be carried in toy sections.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
nkp174 said:
I agree. I've seen the same thing with guitars. If the tools (toys) to start a hobby do not function adequately...people don't continue with the hobby. I don't think train sets should ever include plastic track...nor do I think that guitars not carried also in music stores should be carried in toy sections.
First Act! :rolleyes: :D

Are the Lionel starter sets really that bad now? I've seen the Pennsylvania Flyer in several places varying in price from $150 to $200. If the engine is halfway decent I'd be happy. Of course I'd run the Fastrack down the garbage disposal.

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
Cannonball said:
First Act! :rolleyes: :D

Are the Lionel starter sets really that bad now? I've seen the Pennsylvania Flyer in several places varying in price from $150 to $200. If the engine is halfway decent I'd be happy. Of course I'd run the Fastrack down the garbage disposal.

I don't think the Lionel stuff is bad. I believe they are speaking of the cheaper style starter train sets that are out there. I've had a few and they lasted for a minute. I got a large scale steam set as a gift once. Was reeeeaaally excited about it, until I opened it and found the track was plastic and D cell batteries were included. Was a nice gift though. :)

Alot of my family asks what I want for christmas and they know I love model trains. I won't tell them to get me anything model RR related because I'm pretty particular on what manufacturors I like to run. :rolleyes:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
65GASSER said:
I got a large scale steam set as a gift once. Was reeeeaaally excited about it, until I opened it and found the track was plastic and D cell batteries were included. Was a nice gift though. :)

LOL..... This reminds me of a mistake I almost made last night. I was looking on eBay and found an N gauge train set that I had spotted in the LHS earlier this week. The one at the LHS had been listed for $80. The one on eBay had a Buy It Now of $18.00. I was just about to hit that button when I noticed in the description- "Requires AAA batteries, not included." I'm glad that my brain was faster than my finger for a change. :rolleyes: :D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I guess the new Lionel is a bit of a mixed bag. My local hobby shop carries them, and most sets are pretty good. On the other hand a customer called to ask about a Christmas set Lionel came out with this year, and they didn't have it in stock and won't stock it. They ordered 4 sets when they were first announced, received 4 sets, tried to test run all 4 sets and sent all 4 back because none would run.