An addition to Wabash #20006

Around 1900 the Wabash rr. owned a second 16 wheel flat car similar to the heavy load flat car #20006 with a load capacity of 55 tons and with other small differences with regard to the construction. Unfortunately there were no more details available so I built the same model like the #20006 with an other heavy machinery part.

Wabash_20008_1k.jpg

Wabash_20008_2k.jpg

I owned this shaft with a maltese crossed wheel from an old mechanically measure device for compressed air and gases with an endless printer. Because this maltese cross you will be able to perform a permanent rotation to a stepwise rotation so that a printing cylinder turns only with small steps for few seconds or minutes. I´m not sure if such a shaft could be needed everywhere in an industry plant. I guess that such huge dimension could
be problematically. However I think that is a good looking load and I mounted additionally two different gear wheels to this shaft. The spoked wheel was built by me too. In detail I used a simple toothed disk wheel as basis for the spoked wheel and I love it each time, with such small changes a very simple part to a correct model part for my model railway to transform.
This model has got Wabash rr. no. #20008 and I hope this has been a good choice.
Finally I weathered and aged this car with chalks like all my other models.

Bernhard

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
modelsof1900 said:
http://www.railimages.com/gallery/bernhardschroeter/aaf?full=1

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/bernhardschroeter/aag?full=1

I owned this shaft with a maltese crossed wheel from an old mechanically measure
device for compressed air and gases with an endless printer. Because this maltese cross
you will be able to perform a permanent rotation to a stepwise rotation so that a printing
cylinder turns only with small steps for few seconds or minutes. I´m not sure if such a shaft
could be needed everywhere in an industry plant.

Bernhard

I believe that component is technically called a "Geneva Mechanism". I've never seen on that big, but never say never. Machinery designers during the early 1900 were building some pretty massive machines by that time. Just take a look at some old Worlds Fair pictures (three story tall steam engines).

Actually, I wouldn't worry about it. Most people won't know the difference.

Regardless, you do some beautiful modelling and your loads are sure to turn some heads.

Keep it up!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Fanastic job, the car, the load and the load supports, just as good as it can get.:thumb::thumb:

BTW, feel free to enter one of these pics in our current photo contest. If you have a shot of something else, you can enter up to two different pics in two separate posts.:D

Good work, and welcome to the Gauge.:wave::wave:

Thanks to all for the friendly words to my models.
Thanks also to zedob.
I didn't know the term of a "Geneva mechanism" before but after I have googled I found many entries with this term. In many cases this mechanism is used in a film projector to step the film quickly, holding it still, then stepping it again, etcetera.
In the case, which I had described, very slow movements were necessary and the printer paper moved only all minutes around a small step. But the system is the same. The wheel with the slots alone however, which produces these gradual movements, has however its own name, evenly maltese wheel or maltese crossed wheel.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
After thinking about it I believe the actual tech term is "Geneva Movement" for the motion. I did know that it was for tranfering rotary motion into evenly spaced (timed, depending on driving shafts rpm. That's the driven shaft) start stop motion. I didn't know the names of the individual components, but "maltese" would be a logical name for that part.

Gotta love semi useless info.

Regardless, that is one fine looking car and load. It's sure to turn heads.:thumb: