Amusing Observation

Triplex

Same for me. Okay, I don't know PCCs, and I don't own a car, but the part about recognizing railroad equipment and not road vehicles is the same.

I imagine that if a survey were done which asked a random sample of the population to make a quick drawing of a train, they would draw a steam engine, though the majority of participants had probably not seen one operating in real life. It would probably be a (really poorly drawn) 4-4-0.

RobertInOntario

I imagine that if a survey were done which asked a random sample of the population to make a quick drawing of a train, they would draw a steam engine, though the majority of participants had probably not seen one operating in real life. It would probably be a (really poorly drawn) 4-4-0.

Thanks! You've just given me an idea ... I think I'll conduct my own unofficial survey and (when I happen to think of it) I'll subtely ask various friends if they know the difference between a steam & a diesel.

I won't ask them directly (that would be too obvious) but, for example, I'll start discussing heritage trains and introduce the topic that way. Most of my friends know I'm into trains so it would be a natural topic to bring up. I'll say something like, "I heard there is a heritage train near you -- do you know if it's a steam or diesel?" I'll try not to be too annoying! :mrgreen:

At any rate, this is how I first (and unintentionally) got into this topic when with the two friends mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Rob

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
You need three choices as surveys have a right answer, a wrong answer and then a third answer to help curb the 50/50 chance people. Here's your opportunity to work in a steamy, a diesel and a stiesel! You can tell them that the stiesel is actually quite common and how many do they recall seeing?

You need three choices as surveys have a right answer, a wrong answer and then a third answer to help curb the 50/50 chance people. Here's your opportunity to work in a steamy, a diesel and a stiesel! You can tell them that the stiesel is actually quite common and how many do they recall seeing?

Or you could add the 3rd option and keep things prototypical and use gas turbine as the other option. I doubt the vast majority of the population has heard of UP's Big Blow.

Russ Bellinis

One thing I find especially interresting is that the most popular toy/model train engine in any scale is the f unit in Santa Fe red and silver warbonnet. Most people who buy train sets for their children with a Santa Fe f-unit would be shocked to learn that those are not new engines, but actually came out in the 1940's.

Triplex

Or you could add the 3rd option and keep things prototypical and use gas turbine as the other option. I doubt the vast majority of the population has heard of UP's Big Blow.
Or try a catenary electric.

RobertInOntario

Wow, I don't know if I need to complicate things too much. :)

When I first raised this question (as mentioned above), I only had to ask these persons if a certain train was diesel or steam, and I could immediately see their confusion!

Interesting feedback though. I think a stiesel is a great idea. It probably shunts around in diesel power but switches to steam when it reaches 40 mph our so? :mrgreen::-D

Cheers,
Rob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Interesting feedback though. I think a stiesel is a great idea. It probably shunts around in diesel power but switches to steam when it reaches 40 mph our so?

That's far too simple! It actually burns diesel to create steam that turns a turbine that generates electricity to run compressors that deliver power through pistons to rod-coupled wheels...! ;)

Andrew

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
You need three choices as surveys have a right answer, a wrong answer and then a third answer to help curb the 50/50 chance people. Here's your opportunity to work in a steamy, a diesel and a stiesel!
My point was rather legitimate in that you had two real locomotives and then another that did not exist. If you have got three real locomotives, they may have seen all three and if they are not sure, the choice is that much more confusing. If however, you only have two real locomotives and one not, and they choose the not, you clearly know that they know nothing about trains. Like I said, it's a common ploy in surveys.
Way back a long time ago in college, I entered a medical survey that paid for the removal of my wisdom teeth. The only catch was I had three choices of pain medication... A - a good one, B - a not so good one, and C - a dud pill. As luck would have it, I got the dud pill for the first four hours after surgery!:eek: Ouch is right.

That's far too simple! It actually burns diesel to create steam that turns a turbine that generates electricity to run compressors that deliver power through pistons to rod-coupled wheels...! ;)

Andrew

If someone were to use diesel as the fuel in an oil-fired steam locomotive instead of fuel oil, wouldn't that make it a steisel fitting the above description?

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Those are known as, quite simply, oil burners.

But to add fuel to the fire, pun intended, did you know you get something called an electro- diesel.

In South Africa, our Class 38 (making it primarily a diesel), has a pantograph fitted above the cab, but also has a diesel engine. The crew can control the locomotive from either side of the cab. When running on an electrified mainline they, obviously, use the electric power and then switch over before they enter a section without catinary.

RobertInOntario

My point was rather legitimate in that you had two real locomotives and then another that did not exist. If you have got three real locomotives, they may have seen all three and if they are not sure, the choice is that much more confusing. If however, you only have two real locomotives and one not, and they choose the not, you clearly know that they know nothing about trains. Like I said, it's a common ploy in surveys.
Way back a long time ago in college, I entered a medical survey that paid for the removal of my wisdom teeth. The only catch was I had three choices of pain medication... A - a good one, B - a not so good one, and C - a dud pill. As luck would have it, I got the dud pill for the first four hours after surgery!:eek: Ouch is right.

OK, good point about the bogus choice! I guess I'll give that a try then. I almost started my unofficial survey a couple days ago but got distracted & forgot. It should still be fun & easy to do. Rob

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Recently, I was chatting about heritage trains with two different people, both on different occasions. I was really surprised to learn that both of them did not know the difference between a steam engine and a diesel! :eek:

One person readily admitted that she couldn't tell the difference. And I could soon tell that the other person (a different occasion a few weeks later) also didn't understand the difference between the two. I kept a straight face and didn't say too much, but inside I couldn't believe it! I've been schooled on the basic differences between these two types of loco since I was 4 or 5. To me, it couldn't be more obvious ... And my four-year-old son has no problems separating the steamers from the diesels!

So, I'm guessing that there is a significant chunk of the population who can't tell a steam train from a diesel. I realize I'm jumping to conclusions here but I bet I'm right. Has any one else come across this?

Just curious :)

Rob
Don't be too surprised Rob, I've heard that 30% of the population can't find the Pacific Ocean on a map. :cry: :cry: :eek: It's amazing how many (common) things that so many people don't know.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
A small town near me had it's third annual Depot Days celebration, with steamer #1225 (the inspiration for the Polar Express) as the featured attraction. Naturally, I had to be there to get a few pics.

I overheard a couple talking as the train approached - she was telling him that it is no wonder no one rides trains anymore - why do they have to make all that black smoke? I guess she has never seen a diesel!

I attached a couple of shots of the train approaching to illustrate her concern. She said that she thought it was nasty, but obviously a lot of us look at it a little differently!
Jess, I was just reading the post about what people had for wallpaper on their computer screens and when I saw your pictures I thought that they were perfect! So with your permission to I would like use the second one for my wallpaper.

L

lester perry

it is not just the general public buy business's also.I am a yard jocky at a chrysler plant. for those who don't kknow what that is, I put loaded trailers in the docks and pulll empties out. a couple of years ago
i noticed that J.B. Hunt trailers have a lable on them with a steam locomotive in a red circle with a red slash through it. and under it says not for rail use. why not a diesel loco?

Les
.:?

Pitchwife

Dreamer
it is not just the general public buy business's also.I am a yard jocky at a chrysler plant. for those who don't kknow what that is, I put loaded trailers in the docks and pulll empties out. a couple of years ago
i noticed that J.B. Hunt trailers have a lable on them with a steam locomotive in a red circle with a red slash through it. and under it says not for rail use. why not a diesel loco?

Les
.:?
Perhaps this might answer your question. Draw (or copy) silhouettes of a diesel locomotive and pass them around to see if anyone can identify it. Chances are few will. They may not know what makes it go, but most everybody knows that a steam loco is a train. :rolleyes: