Amtrak Cascades

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by myltlpny, Feb 20, 2007.

1. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Ok, I have been trolling the Internet for months now and can't find what I need.
    I am working on a car for car model of the Amtrak Cascades which runs from Oregon up into Vancouver, B.C.
    I have two Athearn F59ph locomotives in the Northwest corridor scheme and an ER models talgo set with some additional add on cars. The Talgo cars are in the as delivered red, white and blue scheme, circa 1995 or so. The prototype cars have since been modified to add what some refer to as "Bat ears", humps on the first and last car that better blend them in height wise to the locomotives at each end. I have found enough information to make the bat ears. I have a feeling I'm going to make a mold and cast them in resin. So, I have the model, I have the paint, and yet...

Does anyone know of some obscure decal maker that might make decals for this trainset? I looked into making my own decals, but some of the graphics require white ink. The casting and paint don't present me with any problems. But, before I strip these cars down I need to get the proper decals. Can anyone help?
  2. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

PLEASE, tell me what you think of the the engine! I have so been thinking of getting one but couldnt find the cars to go with it. :(

Do you like it? Does it run good, got any pictures? :)
  3. Spawn of Chaos

Spawn of Chaos Member

I agree with COMBAT on at least the pictures part sign1 POST SOME PICS!
  4. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Yes, I like it a lot. It runs well. The drive mechanism is based on the old Athearn drive, but it has a much heavier frame for extra weight. It's not a full frame like the proto locomotives, but it's certainly better than the old blue box specials. The paint is done well and detailing is good. Again, not proto 2000, but all the major details are there. I'll probably add a few small details later. I have mine wired for DCC so I had to do a little work to get the lights mounted properly in the shell. Eventually, I'll probably add an accurate lighting kit to get all the lights working.
    The ER Models Talgo cars are superb. The paint is crisp and include interiors. Hence my not wanting to strip these cars without being able to find the decals for the Cascades. They run very well, although I did change the wheelsets out for NWSL 36" wheels. A typical European train, the cars had pizza cutter wheel flanges that bottomed out on my code 83 track. Kadee makes a snap in coupler conversion for the European cars that was perfect. If you're looking to model any of the American Talgo trains, they are excellent.
    I've already disassembled the cars for stripping and painting, so pictures at this point are useless. I can take close up pictures of the loco's if you're interested.
  5. railohio

railohio Active Member

Be nice to see shots of the interiors to compare them to the prototype cars.
  6. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

For anyone who's interested, Walthers has the talgo 6 car sets on sale for under $53.00. Retail is something like $125.00. I just picked up a second set. That means I can experiment on a couple of cars and not have to worry about messing up my consist.

Railohio, since I have the cars apart I can get some pictures of the interiors. The bistro car is close, but no cigar. The coaches cars look reasonably correct, and the lounge looks correct, but forget about the head end cars. Luckily you can't see much anyway.

Another plea....Anyone know of a decal set? I hate the idea of spelling out Cascades on both sides of 12 cars and two locomotives letter by letter. I know what the sizes and fonts are (it's amazing what you can find on the internet), but that's just a lot of letters.
  7. Wildcatfootball

Wildcatfootball Member

There was a HUGE thread about the Cascades awhile back, try a seach for it and see what you come up with.
  8. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Yes, I've seen all those. I have the consist and all the info I need to build the train set, form the "bat ears", paint the cars, and do most of the lettering. What I was initially asking is if anyone makes decals for these cars, particularly the Herald. I even have the artwork, so I may try having some custom decals made if necessary.
  9. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

2 F59PHI's? where is the Cabbage? you must in clude the old F40PH cab cars!

I do not think they make cascades decals, but i could be wrong. they would probably be obscure though. Is it that tough to air brush it? , as long as you mask well, and you could get a good paint scheme with an air brush. I know companies sell striping sets, so you just need to pick out the correct colors, and have at it!

you could also try to make your own, but i don't know how that works.
  10. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

For accuracy I have an old Lifelike F40ph that I plan on making the NPCU, Non-Powered Control Unit. I think it looks better with two F59's, though.:D
    Paint and striping is no problem. I think I'm going to try getting some custom decals made.
  11. Spawn of Chaos

Spawn of Chaos Member

Now hold on. The Cascades only has one locomotive at each end. GEC, you're thinking of the Superliner.
  12. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

No, he's right. Technically speaking the Cascades has only one Locomotive. Motive power comes from a single F59phi at one end only. The "Locomotive" at the other end is a gutted f40ph that has cab controls, but no engine. It has a weight (presumably concrete) and is used as a second cab for the train. I am using two F59's, simply because it looks better to me, but for accuracy I have a Spectrum F40 that I'm decorating in the cascades scheme. I might even go for accuracy and take out the motor.:D
  13. railohio

railohio Active Member

Do the Cascades cab cars have the baggage door on the side like the ones in Midwest service? I just rode them and now I can't remember.

Don't forget that sometimes they will use two locomotives if a cab car is unavailable for service on a given run. That happens more often than not on the Michigan trains.
  14. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Yes, one of the cars has a side baggage door. I believe that the Non-Powered control unit (F40) also carries baggage, but don't quote me on that. I seem to remember there's a side door cut into the carbody. I'd have to check my photo's.

My running two F59's is predicated on the lack of a NPCU. This way I can run either configuration.
  15. Spawn of Chaos

Spawn of Chaos Member

Hang on, I interpreted what he said as him saying that there were two locomotives at one end. I basically said what you said, though I didn't know that one of them had no power.
  16. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Ah, gottcha!
  17. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Can u post some pics so I can know what the train looks like, just outta interest.
  18. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Here's a few.

Attached Files:

19. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

Here's a few of the ER Models consist with the full 12 cars and a closeup of the NW F59phi.

Attached Files:

20. Wildcatfootball

Wildcatfootball Member

WOW!!! Without the "batwings" you can really tell the serious size of those F59's... There even taller then the AMD103's. The only gripe I have about the Athearn F59 "Northwest" is that they aren't painted in that scheme in real life. Instead of just having the AMTRAK logo on the side of the train, now-a-days they have the Swept "Cascade" logo on the sides. Oh well.