AMI road bed

roryglasgow

I used it on a layout I started a few years ago. It worked as advertised. The only complaint I have against it is that I couldn't figure out an easy way to remove the excess ballast. The layout was built on two 2'x4' boards, so I just took them outside and dumped the excess off. Another solution might have been to soak the ballast in matte medium and let it just glue into place, but I never tried that.

I used it on styrofoam, and it worked fine.

I've used the Woodland Scenics track foam on a couple of layouts now, and I like it, too. It's a whole lot cheaper than AMI road bed, but you actually have to glue down the track and ballast...

Clerk

I hate to be a party pooper. I have foam roadbed throughout my layout and I hate it. The glue comes loose so the tracks shift and it is taking several applications of ballast to cover as it keeps flaking off.:( :(

WM-N-fan

I like it over foam because it is firm and the nails can be placed in easily. Myu only complaint is excess foam getting stuck on the roadbed. It's a problem that you can live through.

Clerk

I use straight white glue to glue the foam roadbed down and a mix of 1/2 glue and 1/2 water for the ballast. This is what I used on my old layout with cork roadbed

jdh

i am using STURDY-R [1"] foam insulation board and AMI instant roadbed. Works fine. I also have some cork roadbed and have not had any issues with that either.

When you mention "foam" it would be helpful to know what kind you are referring to [type and thickness].

Sturdy-R has a very thin fiberglass skin to add rigidity and is made by celotex.

Drew1125

The last layout I built, I didn't use any roadbed...when I do use roadbed, I've always just gone with the trusty ol' cork stuff...
My concern with the the AMI stuff is - wouldn't the throwbars on your turnouts get stuck to it? Is this a problem? Is there some precaution you take to avoid it? (i.e. cut a gap in it...cover it with tape, etc...?)

jdh

i have had 2 turnouts with the sticking throwbar, both are in front of the south facing window. [the ami stuff gets more sticky when warmed by the sunlight].

yep - that is excatly what i did; slid a small piece of electrician's tape [sticky side down] under the bar.

i have not had issues anywhere else, and i have a dozen sitting on ami roadbed [the others are on cork, or have a molded in roadbed <<fleischmann track>>.

i liked the sound deadening of the ami over the cork.
[cork is fine until you 1: nail it, 2: glue it, 3: ballast it. then you start transmitting all of those vibrations.]

ami does not have sloped shoulders out of the box, but you can push the edge down with your finger.

ami does have an oder when you take it off the roll, but it goes away. same could be said of cork, but i like cork smell :)

jdh

i forgot to mention that i have.... at least eighty feet of the ami instant roadbed installed.

Vic

I think you guys are talking about that black sticky stuff that comes on a roll? I swear I've seen that stuff used for something else...I think its sealant that goes under ridge vents on roofs...not for sure though but next time I'm at the building materials place I'm gonna look around. If I find it I'll file a report:D

Vic

Thanks Mike, That was interesting....he used a re-formulated pipe wrap. If I can find a sample of that ridge vent stuff I'll sitck an old piece of track on it and see if it eats it up LOL!!!:D :D :D

leghome

When AMI first came out it did attack the plastic ties on track but has been reformulated and now does a very nice job. I had a friend who tired it is in the early years and his ties dissolved into mush. Some of mine has been down 2 yrs now and no problems.