American Models WP bay window caboose

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Greg Elems, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I received the WP caboose from Howard Sheffield owner of Howard' S Trains at hjsheff@mcn.org a week ago. First I’d like to thank Howard for convincing Ron at AM to go ahead and produce the WP cabooses. The caboose is AM’s Erie bay window to start with. While it’s a very good model of the Erie, it has some differences from the WP caboose. So this won’t deal with detail errors as a WP caboose. My first impression was "wow" the color is pretty darn good for the mineral brown WP’s cabs were delivered in. While the bay window isn’t perfect, it resembles the first order of WP caboose to actually look the part. The numbers are correct and WP did have 35 cabooses in their first delivery of steel cabooses. The bright yellow ladder and end railings are correct. One thing that can be added relatively easy and quick are the side grab irons and end grab irons, which AM does not have. At least you don’t have to carve them off to put wire ones on. Some touch up paint, yellow, will finish the handrails nicely. The lettering Western Pacific lettering on the side could have been a bit heavier or bolder. IMHO it looks good behind my WP F3’s from SHS trailing a few freight cars. Since this is not intended to be a perfect WP caboose and for the price it will make an excellent stand in till a better one comes along.

Greg Elems
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Greg do you have a photograph of this one yet?
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Lets see if this works. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still need to add the grab irons.

Greg
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

That is a nice looking combination. What size is your layout?
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Right now I am without a layout. I am in the process of building a switching layout on a hollow core door, 36"x80". That is on hold till I get more of the garage cleared to set it up again. :D The plan is to do a couple of these and then build a bridge module to connect them. In the mean time I'm building my switches and detailing cars.

Greg