Amapi Pro

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

I've been exploring various modeling software besides Rhino and found that Eovia's Amapi Pro has a very credible unfold option. It's shown unfolding a house in the manual and allows selection of seams etc. Haven't gotten far enough into it to see it's full capabilities. It's about the same price as Rhino and is the basic modeler for Carrara 4, Eovias CGI package, and has good stand alone capabilities somewhat like Rhino with Flamingo.

At least this establishes one more package that has an unfold option. Here's the URL for those interested:

http://www.eovia.com/home.asp

A free trial download can be found here:

http://www.eovia.com/resources/download.asp

Ciao, Gil
  2. Renaud

Renaud Member

Amapi

I have a Macintosh, and Amapi would be the only way for me, so I am eager to know more about your feeling. I tried two years ago to get familiar with Amapi 6, but my knowledge is close to zero, and I resumed. However, for five years now, I buy magazines each time they speak about Amapi products: the first time, it was in 2000, by chance, I read "and last, a nice ability, it allows unfolding..." Now, there are both Amapi7 and Amapipro, the last one aim at CAD modellers. It is said to be not fine, for it works bad with a G4 twin-processor 1,25 Ghz, and a G5 twin seems more suitable for proper use: although Amapi7.5pro works far much better than Amapi7pro, which was very unstable, this latter point about the computer you need points out a lack of working finish.

Try and tell me...
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Renaud,

I am using Amapi Pro 7.5 on a PC and haven't run into any problems so far but still have a long ways to go before I can make a decision regarding the program's proficiency and stabillity. What I've seen so far is very positive, enough so that I am enticed to go through several tutorials to get a better feel for the software. The modeling interface is somewhat different from most modeling packages which may be a reason for some to be negative while others find it to be the best they've ever worked with..., Why don't you download the trial copy and take a look?

-Gil

P.S. It seems to have a much better rendering capability than other comparable packages.
  4. Renaud

Renaud Member

Amapi

Amapi's interface has always been said very successful to operate, although not common, and compared to others "monsters", this appeals to me. But before I try a download again, I'd prefer you step forward first: I'm not enough familiar with softwares to get the hand with the trial version before it is over. Please, please, try it.... you are the first here to talk about Amapi!
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Renaud,

Give me a few days to find out more about Amapi. There are several things that I want to try; unfolding some objects, importing 2D reference drawings and projecting 2D onto developable 3D surfaces. These are the most important features needed for developing a card model and need to be checked out thouroughly before making the decision to buy. Till then...,

-Gil
  6. Renaud

Renaud Member

Amapi

It is five years since I wonder whether it is suitable or not, although Amapi pro is only two years old. (the other one is Amapi designer, the only existing one before 2003) As soon as you tell me it is OK, I buy it! Wauuuh!
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Renaud,

I realize that you've been waiting a long time for a package like this but before you spend that amount of money make sure that the package is going to accomplish what you plan to use it for.

I tried unwrapping a sphere last night before powering down. I am still astounded by the results! Amapi Pro (AP) allows complete control on the cut seams it makes unfolding a neat game in near real time! I still haven't explored enough to make a decision one way or another but if the rest of it is anything like the unfold facility I am in for a very happy and accelerated learning experience. I am beginning to understand APs GUI and it is different but is quickly learned and somewhat habit forming. This is very refreshing.

More as it happens.

-Gil
  8. Darwin

Darwin Member

Coincidence? I just installed Amapi 6, which comes as a free full version on the cover DVD for the Autumn issue of Microsoft Windows XP magazine. I've had it open only long enough for a quick scan of the toolbox, but it does include an unwrap tool. I hardly would imagine it is as powerful as the Amapi Pro software, but it might be a very cheap way of testing the water. (Has a bunch of other neat stuff on the DVD as well...should keep me busy a night or two exploring.)
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I played around with Amapi 4.something back when it was a free download. The unfold option worked fairly well in it, but I had one problem with Amapi software...same problem I have with software like Anim8or and the like. There is no provision for putting an image in the background so you can get correct curves and the like when building aircraft or ships for that matter.

Or am I missing something?
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Ashrunner,

Amapi Pro has that ability. It would be fairly useless as a modeling package without it. I went through setting up images on the orthogonal panels tonight. I don't know whether the images can be scaled and positioned as they are in Rhino. That will have to wait for another night. I'm still exploring the unfold option which I've still a ways to go yet. As it happens...,

Darwin,

Is it demo copy or a fully operational sample? Either way it's a bargain. Study the manual (documentation under help) which is a straight forward document.

-Gil
  11. Darwin

Darwin Member

Gil, the copy is full and unrestricted. After registering the product (free), you are eligible for the upgrade price for the Amapi Pro V 7 should you decide you can't live without it. Admittedly the price of the diskmags are a bit steep this side of the pond ($16 US), but I have gotten some really great software through them....but I really hate it when the vendor's registration page has been dismantled before the magazine even makes it to the US market.
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Darwin,

One piece of information that will make you go away for awhile..., Amapi does hulls.

-Gil
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hulls? What is special about hulls? Not that making models of anything isn't special, but I was intrigued to know what was especially special about hulls....

Tim P

PS Other than Darwin will be especially interested.......
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tim,

Nothing special except Darwin has a practically free copy of Amapi and likes ship models. This should keep him off the streets while he figures out how it works.

By the way, I've continued exploring Amapi and will for a while longer but I am beginning to form an opinion that Rhino is still King of modeling software. More as it happens...,

-Gil
  15. Darwin

Darwin Member

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  16. Renaud

Renaud Member

let us know, Gil, what Amapi pro is able of. I long.... I'm designing since thursday a 1:42 Mig 29 with the help of my square paper, of course. It will be ready within two days, and I hope it will fly.