Am I crazy or what?

TommyT

Jan 4, 2006
Okay here is my dilemma.

I have a roughly 9'3" x 20' workshop that has a washer, dryer, water heater and a 14' x 2' x 36" workbench. Here are the main issues: one of the 9' walls has a 36" door that swings into the room and the other 9' wall has the house electrical panel in the corner above one end of the workbench.

My best options are a L-shaped along the wall layout that stops at the electrical panel about 23 Lnft, a U-shaped layout that leaves room to access the panel or with a removable section in the corner by the panel or......... :D Build a U or O shaped layout the lifts up against the 9' ceiling and out of the way. :eek:

I have unused attic space up above the area where I could install a screw drive garage door opener to lift and lower the layout. Imagine entering the center of the room pushing a button and your 9' x 20' layout lowers down around you. :cool:

I know you guys are thinking about flex and weight. The 1 x 4 benchwork would incorporate a 2' tall backdrop out of 1/2" ply kind of like a L. The rest could be built mostly out of foam.

Hey, I'm open to all ideas. Let me know what you think.

TommyT

TommyT

Jan 4, 2006
Oops. sorry posted in the wrong forum... Moderator can you please move to the Track Planning Forum.

Thanks,
TommyT

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
That sounds really interesting! Push the button, bzzzzz.... down comes the layout. I like it.

Now, my shelf layout will be crossing over an electrical panel. I will just make that section removable = modular where it goes across the panel. I also have to contend with a door, will make that section out of a lift-off bridge.

Another note, my layout will be fairly high off the floor and the breakers in the panel will be acessible by reaching up underneath. I intend to rmove the hinged door from the panel, of course the dead front will be left on so there are no live parts showing.

Yes, the National Electrical Code says the area in front of a panel must be left clear for access, but oh well?

Keep us posted on what you do, I am definitely interested!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
There's a late 70s MR that features just that type of layout in a family room. He used a electric winch and a series of pullys and counterweights to do it. I believe it was 6x10 in size, I'll dig thru and see if I can find it again.