Altoona Railfest 2004 Getting Closer

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Chessie6459, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

For those of you who are interested in learning about Pennsylvania and the railroad, Altoona Railfest is the place to go. There will be a TOY TRAIN SHOW ( Free Admission ) to this event. The museum will be open as well. The Independent Live Steamers will not be at the event this year. I was hoping we would be there but all the track was torn up and bought by my grandfather for his railroad. Anyways, the past two years have been a great experience for me, because I learned alot more about the Pennsylvania Railroad. Here is what all is going on for the Weekend of Oct 2-3,

Excursions available on the Nittany and Bald Eagle line from Tyrone, PA (Blair Co.) to Port Matilda, PA (Centre Co.). Tickets are $20 each for historic coach cars. $40 to ride the No. 1954 Pullman (dining-style car), and $40 to ride the historic PRR Cabin Car (caboose with open porch). Round-trip is approx. 1 hour long. All excursion tickets include admission to RailFest 2004 as well as admission to the Museum and Horseshoe Curve National Historic Landmark for the weekend.

-K-5 RailRun on Sunday morning- runners, joggers and walkers call for registration form
    -Horseshoe Cloggers performance
    -Michael O’Brien Band- Irish interactive folk music show
    -Food & merchandise vendors; model railroad displays and vendors in adjacent Station Mall in Altoona

-Other local model railroad shows in town (contact Museum for more info)

-Horn & Whistle Festival at Horseshoe Curve all weekend
    -Richard Sleigh acoustic guitar and harmonica railroad folk show at Museum

-Saturday $6 chicken BBQ at Museum to benefit Family Services of Blair County (tickets can be pre-ordered by contacting the Museum or purchased the day of)

-Please call for excursion tickets at 814.946.0834 ext. 226 or email prdirector@railroadcity.com.

I will try to get some photo's from a friend who goes to the Railfest every year. If i do get photo's i will post them as soon as possible.
  2. Chessie6459

I just found out today that the PRR E-8's will not be running excursion service this year. :cry: I don't know why they are not. But they will be on display at the Altoona RR Museum. :thumb: These Diesel Units are something else. They are really beautiful engines to ride behind and to look over. :thumb: As more information comes up i will let everyone know about it.
  3. jdscales040

jdscales040 Member

From what I've heard, NS said no excursions account curve is too busy with trains. If its still like it was when I was out there in June for Railroaders Day, I believe it!:thumb:

John D.
  4. Chessie6459

I was out on my deck just not long ago and i saw a good many of trains with in just an hour. But hey if it is to busy i don't blame them for not letting the excursion go on this year.
  5. Chessie6459

The Altoona Railfest begins tomorrow. If you can make it that would be great. Also this is a great place to do some railfanning cause they have two bridges that are over the tracks. You can really get some good pictures from there. I am not going this year but will try next year.
  6. firefighter1811

firefighter1811 New Member

E8's

the E8's will be a static display but you will be able to tour 5711 :thumb: :thumb: so that will be very cool I will be there both days. BTW the last I was at the museum there was not very good train watching in the parking lot by the mall, since they are still rebuilding it into a medical offices place.:cry:

Mike