"Alternative Materials" Category

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It is the "purist" conception of model making that are not the norm. People who model use what works best. People who demand only paper be used are "people who demand that only paper be used". Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I treasure the purists efforts as an art complete to itself, like some ancient Japanese art form or traditions of Yucatán or greek fishermen of making their boats or hooks, I don't want to be ruled by them, simply because I go beyond only paper on just about every model I build.

Reactions: Printer

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
There are some paper models that scream out to be used frequently, for this, other materials to strengthen the model comes in handy, case in point, all of my warhammer armor is laminated thickly and have thick bulkheads inside to add strength to the walls. As of the moment, I do not have the skills that Doris uses to make her ship hulls and avoid the starved ribs look, so I use wood strips like I would an a wood plank on plank. Restrictions limits your creativity but on the other hand, it also makes you think outside the box: another case in point, is the rail system for my ALIENS APC, which I could have done in other materials but I opted for paper and it came out OK.

Good comments from everyone, enjoy and see you all around the forum.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Those ribs that "DORIS" uses are about 1 mm thick. There is no danger of a skeletal outcome. "DORIS", is the master of this kind of modeling, in my personal opinion. Besides, she is the only person I know of that does sculpting on her tall ships, and then covers them with real gold leaf! Below is a picture of "The Master of ship building", and below is a "Sovereign of the seas" detail pic, that is all real gold leaf. This is museum quality stuff. :)

post-1353-0-33102900-1362210094.jpg

Sovereign_13.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Doris's home is a museum! She told me she was a High School teacher. I don't think I ever had any teacher anywhere that talented. :)