Also New Here

PapierMachette

Hi Papercrafters,

I'm new here too. I recently discovered the art of Papercrafting two years ago and instantly loved it. I post a lot of my stuff on instructables.com and the frequently underused /po board on 4 Chan but but I guess this is my first time towards an all papercraft related forum. I'm always on the lookout for new models to build, even though I might have time to build them all (my current To Do list is about 3 pages).

I would really like to hone my skills and my biggest goal is to learn more about how to use Pepakura to fold and unfold various 3D models. If anyone could give me any tips on how to work with the program, I will be in utmost debt.

Hope to see you around soon!

Z

Zathros

:welcome1: to the forum. As far as how to work 3D programs. I use Rhino 3D and have found that the best way to learn is to just play with the programs you use and just "do it". Someone could tell you how they do it, but sometimes there are different ways to do the same thing. You will get better results if you post an exact problem you have. When you do that, someone can then help if they choose. Inevitably, you have to try and make mistakes, learn what question to ask, to find the answers you need. :)

PapierMachette

Hey, Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Zathros!

Right now I will literally try anything as far as 3D modeling programs go. So far I've been using Blender, Rhino, Autodesk 123D- still completely new to all of them and could really use some practice and help I can get. I like Pepakura because it's simple and relatively straightforward (as far as working with pre made papercrafts), but if I want to unfold something or add textures or even split my 3D model into different sections it's really confusing.

I'm really am just looking for some creative place for me to hone in my skills.

Z

Zathros

If you are getting into Rhino and AutoDesk, depending on what you REALLY want to do, I would choose a single program to go for, as far as basing my center. I chose Rhino for that. I make Bicycles, and other real things in my tiny machine shop. I designed my barn, in Rhino. Real dimensions, a real program. Pepakura is a drawing program. People make fantastic models and do incredible work. It is not CAD though.

Too many programs and with some that have a steep learning curve will slow you down in the long run. Rhino and AutoDesk are completely compatible, and in Rhino, you can open most .skp files. it is not possible the other way round. :)

inky

Welcome aboard. I just started this hobby a few years ago as well so I really can't be of any help to you in using Rhino or the such, I still us MS paint to do all my designs in. I need to learn all the other programs some day.

Just listen to Zathros, he is a pretty smart cookie and knows what he is talking about. (sometimes) lol But like he said, every one has there own style and technics, so what might be easy for some one else might not be for you. Best thing to do is take in the advice but still play around and find what you are comfortable with, you never know, you might find a better way and teach use.

Great to have you here and look forward to seeing some of your work.