Along the RoW: Egyptian Line

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by railohio, Oct 27, 2004.

1. railohio

railohio Active Member

Along the Right-of-Way:
    New York Central "Egyptian Line"
    by Brian Schmidt

Part of the Western Division, New York Central's "Egyptian Line" line extended from Chicago to Cairo, Illinois. Once a busy mainline, the route was downgraded by Penn Central and Conrail in the last half of the century. Deemed surplus by Conrail the line was sold in the mid-1990s to Norfolk Southern who intended to use it for coal and grain traffic but has let the line languish since its purchase without a wheel turning. Luckily for rail historians much of the line is still intact. Portions of it in western Indiana are operated by the Kankakee, Beaverville & Southern during the harvest season. The rest of the line is railbanked and could conceivably be returned to service with little work. I made a trek across Indiana in the summer of 2003 and stumbled across the line by accident. I took a few photos at the time but I intend on making a return visit this winter when the line will be a little more open for exploration. Here's a sampling of what I found!
  2. railohio

railohio Active Member

Signals still stand at an Indiana state highway grade crossing north of Danville, Illinois.

Attached Files:

3. railohio

railohio Active Member

Adjacent to the crossing the rails reveal their past.

Attached Files:

4. railohio

railohio Active Member

A rusted relay case protects signals along the line.

Attached Files:

5. railohio

railohio Active Member

At Handy, near Talbot, Indiana the tower that guarded the crossing of the former Nickel Plate line to Peoria still stands watch.

Attached Files:

6. railohio

railohio Active Member

Manual controls for the automatic interlocking at Handy look like many that are still in service.

Attached Files:

7. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Very Nice Photo's Brian :wave: :wave: :thumb: :thumb: