All sorts of Bridges

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Mr Sumpter,
Nup. The bridge climb is separate. The two pedestrain walkways are on each side ot road level.

I've done the bridge climb twice. Well worth it! Not cheap, but well worth it.

Interperson,

yep. The centre bit of the bridge does raise to allow river traffic to pass through. Since the demise of the riverboats, it has not been necessary. lat time it was raised, was for the centenary celebrations. :)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
End of day

Go service to Georgetown bringing commuters home across the old iron bridge that spans the Credit River
go.jpg

All the snow has gone and spring is just around the corner

Hunkiedoo

Dec 1, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Monster bridge

Did you notice that there are actually two bridges! Each track is actually on its own separate bridge, with the piers of one bridge falling between the piers of the other.

I often wonder if the railway planned it that way or if the 2nd track was required later & had to be painfully fitted together with the original bridge. Lots of strange girders & gussets where the bridges have to span the CN Bala Sub.:eek::eek:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It is still a single track bridge Hunkiedoo. A real bottleneck because this is a double track CN line. The cost of adding a second track to this 1850 structure is prohibitive. Makes a good watching area though.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Bascule Bridges...

Originally posted by interurben
Lovely Bridges guys.:D
Steve Is that last shot some sort of a swing bridge??
The last section is different:D ;)

BTW thanks for my desk top picture:D :D :D ;) :p

I think it is called a Bascule Bridge. I found a cool website with a bunch of different bridges and other structures...

Structurae

Hey Interurben, you traction fan....

Stuck driving buses....

You poor soul. I'd think that with your seniority, you should be able to apply for streetcar duty.

You could get on the St. Clair 512 and be my chaufeur... :D

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
109th Street Bridge...

Originally posted by Wyomingite
I was wondering if any of northern friends from Alberta have a picture of this bridge.

Calling all Edmonchuckers.....

Anyone have pictures of the 109th Street "High Level" Bridge?!

I lived with my brother on the Strathcona (South) side of Edmonton, only a couple of blocks away from this beauty. The waterfall wasn't working when I was there. It would be nice to have pictures with the waterfall.

For those who don't know..... There is an artificial "waterfall" on the East side of the bridge. They used to run it during the summer with lights on it at night.

Shoulda taken pictures back in '86, but I was young and foolish...
Now my brother is in Lotus Land (Vancouver) and I'm back in T.O..

Via Rail used to cross it coming into Edmonton. Great views of the Saskatchewan River Valley, the "Ledge" (Alberta Ledgeslature buildings) and other nice scenery....

Single mainline on top of bridge and northhbound 109th street inside of bridge, plus a pedestrian walkway. Southbound 109th street traffic had to wind its way down into the valley and across an expanded steel bridge which was slippery when wet and your tires make a neat buzzing sound as you drive over it.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
D'oh!

Originally posted by interurben
Hi Tingoat I have already done 10 years at Russell barnes 512 is out of Roncesvale.
I think I`ll do my last 4years 9mth6 days ( who`s counting) at Malvern:D

I must have just missed you!

I've been in the Junction for almost 7 years.... We could have already met and don't know it! :eek: :eek:

Hmmm.... Retirement. January 31, 2021... If my mathe is correct... About 16 years 10 months and 5 days to go, but who's counting... :D

Just putting in my time until the "Big-P" Let's hear it for Pensions!