Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Heres 2 nice bridges.

Picture-005-5.jpg

Picture-005-2.jpg

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
A couple photos of the western approach and span of a formerly B&O bridge crossing the Muskingum river from Harmar into Marietta, Ohio. It's been used as a walking only bridge for quite awhile. The railroad that used to use this bridge is still in service, going north up the Muskingum and west along the Ohio. Just west of this photo, the railroad passes through the center of a residential street in Harmar for about two blocks. Fascinating.

Attachments

• IMG_0475resize.jpg
    IMG_0475resize.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0471resize.jpg
    IMG_0471resize.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0472resize.jpg
    IMG_0472resize.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 79

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
The first photo is the street section of the railroad that I mentioned in the previous post. No bridge content, but interesting...

The second photo is of a bridge on the same line about a half mile further west. A derailment on the bridge this past summer caused the collapse of the previous deck girder bridge - the photo illustrates the "creative" repair (note the trestle support resting right on the blacktop). I can only assume it's temporary as the line is a fairly heavily used branch servicing some heavy industries. But who knows? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0499resize.jpg
    IMG_0499resize.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1946resize.jpg
    IMG_1946resize.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 81

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
Since I posted the below, the temporary bridge with trestling sitting on the roadway has been replaced. I've attached a photo of it - the previous one definitely had more character - maybe once this new one has "aged" it will get some of that character back :D
Fluesheet said:
The second photo is of a bridge on the same line about a half mile further west. A derailment on the bridge this past summer caused the collapse of the previous deck girder bridge - the photo illustrates the "creative" repair (note the trestle support resting right on the blacktop). I can only assume it's temporary as the line is a fairly heavily used branch servicing some heavy industries. But who knows? :)

Attachments

• IMG_3182_resize.JPG
    IMG_3182_resize.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 45

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
My contribution.
That bridge had all the components made in ( my homecountry ) Belgium around 1880, then shipped to Brasil ( Paranagua port ) and taken to the assembly location by mule.
9000 men participated in the railroad construction, about 4000 died from snake bites, accidents and tropical diseases.
My nice Brasilian wife offered me that trip as a retirement present last fall.

Jacques

bridge.jpg

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Of course, the guide ( nice Brasilian lady who as a son involved in homebrewing ) won't tell about the facts right at the Curitiba railroad station.
I had the same emotion when I visited the WW1 trenches in Belgium, visited the great wall in the Peoples Republic of China, and Rogers Pass in the British Columbia-Alberta provinces in Canada ( how many Chinese workers died building that CP railway line )

Yes Charlie, I was just catching a piece of railroad history.

Jacques

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Hey I was trying to find an old picture of mine and came across this thread. Just thought I'd bump it up to see if anybody else had more neat bridge pics.

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
For the Pennsy fans...

Safe Harbor, Pa. (Baltimore and Port Deposit (PRR) on bottom, now NS. Atglen & Susquehanna Low Grade Line of PRR on top, abandoned.)
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=22956921&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Rockville/Harrisburg, Pa Rockville Bridge
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=22795195&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Library of Congress Archives, West Philadelphia Elevated line and associated Bridges, Philadelphia, Pa.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampag...Link=r?ammem/AMALL:@field(DOCID+@lit(PA1447))

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampag...emLink=r?ammem/AMALL:@field(DOCID+@lit(PA3756))

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Wow, I've been within 10 miles of the first two. Wish I had a clue, I might'a taken the time to stop off and do a little picture takin'. 'Bout eight years ago, I was doing some inspection work at some marine reserve sites around the country. I passed through this area on the 30 in between a site in N Philly and another in Frederick, Maryland.