All Members - Challenge 1 - Scratchbuilding

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
We are going to try something different this Summer... Usually about this time, we have a contest or challenge.. We have decided to try to make it so everyone can join in the fun.. and build something nice for their layout and show off a bit of your hard work and creativity.

Challenge 1 - Make anything out of any material - This is the easy one to join..... or is it??? :) We challenge you to suprise us!!! Make any type thing, (cars, Buildings, Depots, hotels, Engines, Airports, Brewerys.. Cemetaries, Fire houses.. Outhouses, Dog houses, Engine Houses, Coaling towers and ANY "thing" Else You want to!! ... Make them out of Cardboard, Plastic, Wire, Aluminium foil, Glass, Frozen helium. or any combination of items

Anything you can build anything out of.. :D Is that easy or what????? :) It's as difficult or as easy as you want to make it.....

Rules..... Any scale..... well, except prototype! :D. Take Lots Of Pictures!!!! :) Start a new thread here and label it (your screen name - Challenge 1) with a description of what you are doing :)

Other Rules - This MUST be your own work.. and it MUST be something new - No Old stuff accepted EXCEPT something you just started and are currently working on... These 2 challenges run from July 1 to September 15... See??? Even the rules are easy!!!!!!

See also: Challenge 2.

Links to Challenge Participants:

Ezdays scratchbuild #1

cnw1961 challenge #1

88's Scratchbuild Challenge

ngauger - challenge #1

Play-Doh Challenge #1

mow backhoe challenge #1

Lester Perry challenge one

Jac's Lines Challenge #1

Gary Pfeil's scratchbuild

L

lester perry

I like it. Do you want pics of the progress as we go through it or just the finished product? Just so happens I am just starting a scratch building project.
Les

N Gauger

Les - Yes - Progress pics are good :) MAybe a "bit" of explaination too :) :)

Jim - - I thought you might like this :)

Bob..... Yeah - I was thinking that too -- timing is everything :( :( But if you can join, please do :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
I know the pleasures derived from entering this challenge is reward enough, :D but so that your efforts aren't forgotten down the line, we will snail-mail a personalized paper "Certificate of Achievement" on parchment (suitable for framing) to the winning entry in each of the two challenges, and email a personalized virtual certificate in jpg format (suitable for printing) for all that and complete their challenge entry. :thumb: :thumb:

And we can post them here?.....

I think my factory smokestacks (proto done, 7 to go) might be a good entry.. now if I could just get a camera!

ezdays

Out AZ way
EngineerKyle said:
And we can post them here?.....

I think my factory smokestacks (proto done, 7 to go) might be a good entry.. now if I could just get a camera!
Yep, this is the place.:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
WHAT!!!...NO PROTOTYPE!!!!
Guess I have to take all that lumber back to Home Depot.
Ok..Here's what I want to do. This a a flag stop that was on the original Central New England RR called Ore Hill. I may not have a use for it,(Allan?) but its an interesting model.(Maybe a yard building?). And the guesstimated dimensions drawn with my drafting program HP 2.0(Hand and pencil).

Picture of Ore Hill scanned from Robert F. Lords book, Country Depots In The Connecticut Hillsc,1996. Picture from authors collection.

Attachments

• orehill.jpg
    orehill.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 379
  • hporehill.jpg
    hporehill.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 382

steamhead

Hi,

Two and a half months to do a "makeover" of a Mantua Mike??? Hmmm...Maybe not. Probably will finish engine house first.

Count me in.

Gus (LC&P).

N Gauger

ezdays and I thought it over again and we think it will be easier on everyone if you "join" in the challenge in this thread - but START A NEW THREAD for your actual contest entry.....

If you guys want - start your new threads and we'll copy your posts over to your new thread.... Label the new threads (Your screen name - Challenge 1)

~~ Thanks!!!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
If I can use Walther's "modulars" as construction material, I'm in. Problem is, I don't need a depot, and I still haven't figured out where I'm going to use the "tower Kitbash".
Pete

cnw1961

I’m thinking of building a freight car for a while, something I haven’t tried before. This challenge seems to be a good starting point for a project like that. Yes, I guess I’m in.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I've decided to change an existing scratchbuilt struture into something different. Here is a link to a picture of an industry I built four years ago...I wasn't even sure what it was supposed to be! :) I'm turning it into a Cargill plant so I have a place for my covered hoppers to load. I've already started the project but have enough to do to qualify for the contest.

http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3595&stc=1&d=1039296482

Oh, the cheezy smoke effects in the pic were an early experiment in photo editing! :)
Ralph

RailRon

Count me in, too. I don't know exactly what to build yet, but it will be some industrial plant which processes the Fantasium ore from the two mines along the TC&W.

Mikey, your proposal to use frozen helium as a building material sounds very interesting. Could you give me the address of a cheap source for that stuff? :D:D:D

Ron