All Aboard!!

msh

We just returned from a vacation in Walt Disney's brainchild and would like to share this photo with you. I believe they said it was built in 1909. Now, I may not be a steamer but this loco is a pretty sight and has a whistle to split your ears.

steamer.jpg

cidchase

Hi msh,
I was just wondering yesterday where you wuz..
I bet Bonky was nuts over that red loco!!!:D :D
Glad you all got back safe.

Vic

Just a bit of history on the Disney World locos. They were built between 1916 and 1928. They were obtained from United Railways of Yucatan in Mexico. They were brought to the US and rebuilt and restored just prior to the opening of the theme park. They were fully operational when purchased but not up to Disney standards They have been converted to burn diesel fuel as a heat source. They are 3ft gauge.

The four locos are:

Roy O. Disney...Named for Walt's brother
Lilly Belle...Named for Walt's wife
Roger Broggie...Named for Walt's friend and employee who built 1/8 scale locos for the Disney estate in California.
Walter E. Disney.

Pooh Bah
Sumpter: if you want weathered, you should see the trains in Animal Kingdom. Do you have a picture of them, msh?
Vic: Roger Broggie's son wrote a book on the railroads of Walt Disney; covers everything from the live steamers in his garden to the latest park. The ones in California were built new; the ones in Florida were used; Animal Kingdom's were built new by the factory that built some for Africa.

msh

60103 - We didn't go to Animal Kingdom, although we did stay at the Animal Kingdom Resort. Pretty cool looking out your window and seeing all those Giraffes, Zebras and plenty of others I didn't recognize. Only had time for Magic Kingdom, Epcot and MGM and then off for a Disney Cruise to boot. I'm all Disney'd out.

Thanks for the info on the locos Vic. I believe this one was the Walter E.

And Cid, my little engineer made sure we rode that train quite a bit. You bet he loved it.

RailRon

Walt Disney was also a model railroad fan and had a huge live steam railroad in his garden.
Read the article about Disney's live steamers in the January 2003 issue of Model Railroader!
Make my mouth water...:cool:

Ron