aleene's original tacky glue v. Hob-e-tac by Woodland Scenics

PennCentralFan

Are they the same? I mean hob-e-tac has tac in it. Are they the same thing basically? I like hob-e-tac for making trees, but Aleene's is cheaper.

PennCentralFan

eightyeightfan1 said:
Never heard of Aleene's. I too use the WS Hob-E-Tac. Its great for putting on the Campbell paper shingles too.

I got it at a craft store called Michael's. I was intrigued by the tacky in the title and thought maybe it's a lot like hob-e-tac. They both seem the same--thicker than Elmer's.

I really like Woodland Scenics stuff, but it can get a little pricey for their glues. Their scenic cement seems like watered down Elmer's and their scenic glue seems just like Elmers, which is what I use for attaching cork and stuff. I like the woodland's scenic cement for laying down ballast and dirt and grass.

PennCentralFan

abutt said:
Never heard of Hob-i-tec...Use Aileens all the time. love it!

Do you use Aleene's to attach foam or lichen for trees? Hob-e-tac can be found at the Woodland's Scenic display at the hobby shop. I like hob-e-tac, because it comes in a jar with a brush.

jmarksbery

:wave: I have used both of the tackies and can't see a lot of difference in them. My vote for best all around is good ole Elmers. The tackies work for LPB's if you want to move them around.
Jim

abutt

Tacky Glue...

I didn't even know that Woodlands had a tacky glue. I ran across Aileens at Michaels years ago, and have used it ever since. It dries as hard as wood glue plus has the tacky quality which is very handy on small parts. I build a lot of Bar-Mills stuff and believe me, one gets to know favorite glues when you're building that really small "crafty" stuff!

I would never use it for ballast or the like. You want a white glue that you can thin down and apply with an eye-dropper for that. Tacky is for building and applying scenery shrubs, etc.:thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
You can get Aleene's Tacky Glue in the craft dept at Wal-Mart. It's gotta be cheaper there than at Michael's.

I think that tacky glue is just Elmer's white glue with a lot of the water take out. That's just my theory.:D

abutt

Wal-Mart and Michaels are about the same distance from my house. For some reason, I tend to ignore Wal-Mart's craft department. Michaels had a sale on the Aileen's this past week, so I bought four large containers. They didn't have the small jars, which I prefer. I'll just pour from the containers into the jars as I need.

Don...You really think tacky is just Elmers? I find the "tacky" a much more reliable glue than Elmer's white, which is really just paper glue. Elmers carpenter strength wood glue (yellow) I use for all the really strong joints.

I think glues are a real science. The only one I found more "hipe" than glue is Gorilla glue, which to me has no place on the modeling bench.:)

ezdays

Out AZ way
abutt said:
Wal-Mart and Michaels are about the same distance from my house. For some reason, I tend to ignore Wal-Mart's craft department. Michaels had a sale on the Aileen's this past week, so I bought four large containers. They didn't have the small jars, which I prefer. I'll just pour from the containers into the jars as I need.

Don...You really think tacky is just Elmers? I find the "tacky" a much more reliable glue than Elmer's white, which is really just paper glue. Elmers carpenter strength wood glue (yellow) I use for all the really strong joints.

I think glues are a real science. The only one I found more "hipe" than glue is Gorilla glue, which to me has no place on the modeling bench.:)
The closest Wal-Mart and Michael's are both in the same shopping center. I usually only go the Michael's when I have one of their 40% off coupons.:wave:

Yeah, Elmer's (or Elmer's type) glue and Aleene's are both white, they may be different formulas, but I just think there's less water in Aleene's, that's what makes it "tacky". Again, that's only my theory.:rolleyes:

As you know, the white stuff is not water-proof, while the yellow stuff is. I've been using Titebond III for when I want a water-proof wood joint.

And don't get me started on Gorilla glue. Great stuff on woodworking projects, but I've lost more bottles of the stuff by it getting hard after one use, even when I seal the bottle. It doesn't take much moisture to activate it.:curse: