Alan Rose's DC-3 Sells for $143.25 on Ebay!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Gil, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

2. Huey

Huey Member

maybe its time to resurrect again the DC-3 Gooney Bird Project? we just got a glimpse of the assembly page and it looks simple enough except how to print it in A4 size. well i don't have all the answer... i just know how to ask the questions :)
  3. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I watched that auction hoping that I might be able to get it for cheap.......yeah it jumped from $26 to $143 pretty fast.

I agree. I love the big birds. An ENTIRE 1:16 scale DC-3 would be awesome.
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

just print it on legal paper.
  5. jlinscheid

jlinscheid Member

I had a hard time finding cardstock in Legal size, but did end up finding it at Paper Plus http://www.paperplus.com/

My guess is that it will be very difficult to find in Afganistan.
  6. Huey

Huey Member

yep, but AK-47, RPK, RPD, RPG, BTR-70, etc. are easy to come by :)
    seriously, a size like that wouldn't fit on a legal size paper as this was discussed extensively on the DC-3 thread in this forum last year.
  7. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

I've got the 1/33 Fly Model C47. Enlarging it is quite feasible, but a lot of work. I would recommend redrawing, recolouring and some redesigning, since the details come out a little bit on the coarse side when you double them in size. Colours aren't too good and the nose urgently requires reverse petal redesign. The interior of a civilian cabin remains a huge design task. Total external and internal recolouring another. Likewise augmenting the rather fanciful cockpit.

I am game for taking part of the work if it could be split up and shared in some sensible way. Would feel quite meaningful. Also, I think such work would and should include what Gil has already started.

Major detailed parts as the engines are within reach by butchering and redesigning existing engines (I-16 and other Halinski models contain good engines), plus what Gil has already done on the Cyclone.

Would suggest a civilian colour scheme (or rather schemes; I might attempt the SAS scheme, others could make classic US and other schemes). Would require completion of Gil's ongoing work on replicating alu skins.

In order to attract maximum interest it might be advisable to keep to 1/33 as basic scale. I would gladly take on the task of rearranging parts in a sensible way for enlargement to 1/16 (includes splitting up large parts such as wings etc. in several segments).

Although this problem does not have to be tackled at the start, it is in fact quite easy to store and work on your model parts in the standard 1/33 scale, but arrange parts in such a way that temporary enlargement by 206.3 percent when printing results in printed A4 sheets at 1/16 scale. You just create templates which are correspondingly smaller and divide up the parts on to these.

I don't want to put a damper on any high feelings, but committment by a sufficient number of reasonably dedicated people would be required for a project of this magnitude to get off the ground.

Leif
  8. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I'm game. I have the C-47 kit as well, but no scanner. I would need a lot of instruction as I'm still not very Paint-shop literate, but I'd be more than happy to help with small sections like recoloring a cockpit. If I provided proof of my own C-47, I would need Leif or somebody else to send me the scanned pages to work with. I don't think I could tackle something such as making a reverse petal nose, but again, I would love to help recolor or rearrange certain sections.

Also, I have found that kinkos offers a great way to get A4 sized paper. They sell some very nice 80lb paper (close to 60lb. cardstock) in 11in. by 17in. I simply buy them and then use their straight-edge cutter to cut them down to 8 1/2in. by 17in. It's not A4, but if you set your printer to A4, everything should fit on the page with plenty of room to spare. This worked with one of Romans models anyways.
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Oh goody, it's only got two motors...,

Gil
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

It took a while but I found it! Never toss the good stuff!

Gil
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

It took a while but I found it! Never toss the good stuff!

Gil
  12. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Yay! Keep going Gil! It looks just as great now as it did months ago.

There has to be a few more people who are interested in creating this plane and would be willing to help out. Anyone?
  13. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Yay! Keep going Gil! It looks just as great now as it did months ago.

There has to be a few more people who are interested in creating this plane and would be willing to help out. Anyone?
  14. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

15. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

16. Texman

Texman Guest

SCOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!
  17. Texman

Texman Guest

SCOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!
  18. ripper

ripper Member

Well, my time is definitely on the egde, but I am willing to help, intending to build the C-47 as it flew over Normandy...
  19. ripper

ripper Member

Well, my time is definitely on the egde, but I am willing to help, intending to build the C-47 as it flew over Normandy...
  20. bholderman

bholderman Member