Akitsushima Seaplane Tender

joeyval

Hello all,

My first posting, just joined up yesterday. I'm a WWI plastic modeler who has become interested in the possibilities paper modeling has to offer.

I've seen the Akitsushima Seaplane Tender by Answer (Kartonowa Encyklopedia Techniki), 1:200. I feel that it would be a good first project since it is on the smallish side and looks simple enough, with the Emily seaplane to provide added interest. Has anyone attempted to build this one? Any problems along the way?

I find the color ship's color scheme interesting, having a bow wave painted on, and various diagonal greys on the hull and superstructure.

Would anyone know when she sported such a camouflage? All I know is that she met her demise in or near the Philippines.

BTW, I think the color rendering on the parts is quite good. Subtle shading is utilised to create a better 3D appearance. Too bad the Emily seaplane does not benefit from this as well. It's uppersurface green is too dark. I've got to think of a way to lighten it up and add weathering. Any suggestions?

Thankyou very much

archangel1

Welcome to the club! I've got the model, too, but haven't started her yet (or the hundreds of others in my ever-expanding collection!). One of these days! If you do a search in this forum under her name, you'll see a thread from last year from another builder with some great closeups. Maybe they'll help.

Cheers,
Mike :wave:

joeyval

Ah yes, I did a little snooping and saw that it was Highlander who posted the end part of his Akitsushima build. Very well built model!

I'm starting to fiddle with the Emily wing in Corel. I imported a jpeg scan into Corel Draw (vector program) and am redrawing the panel lines for starters. I forsee changing panel line color to suit the base color it's on. Meaning, a darker version of green for upper lines, darker red for lines on hinomarus, etc. (is this overkill? advice pls.)

I look forward to simulating the heavy weathering these planes featured, which will take place when I import the work into the bitmap program (Corel Photopaint). Hope I can acheive a realistic look.

BTW, I'm planning to rescale this project into 1:400.

joeyval

many many thanks for the link!.

such nice artwork. I could never acheive that detail. It saves me a lot of work.

BTW, are there any more paper planes of that scale? Small planes look really cool.

gian7675

Hi and welcome to the boards bro!

Wow...you're advanced..corel? wow...I get lost on my simple PC and it'll probably take me ages to work my way thru drawing programs :mrgreen:

I'll be looking forward to your build-up.

Enjoy your stay here at Cardmodels.net! :wave:

NULLMOON

were did you get this kit? i spotted it on the back of another answer kit(t34) and havent been able to locate it

Obiwan3

Joeyval, I can add a little on that wild paint scheme you like. She wore that while supporting the invasion of the Aleutians in 1942. Which was going on while the Battle of Midway was happening down south. I've been researching the colors in those gaudy stripes on the sides of the hull. Light grays or greens? I've got a plastic kit in 1/700 and have seen some pictures on Modelwarships.com. Good on ya.

sakrison

Banned
I bought Answer's Akitsushima just a few weeks ago. I've only done one other ship in paper--Maly Modelarz "Orp Piorun." The Akitsushima looks to comparable in complexity, that is to say, probably a good first ship model. After several years of building paper models of airplanes and vehicles, I found that I had a lot of learning to do on my first ship. I'm finishing the kit now and I'll post a review and suggestions in a few weeks. For now, let me just say that I may be hooked on ships.
Cheers,
--David