AKIRA class now available!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Zoshou's Akira-class Starship is finally ready for download!!! WOOHOO!!!

Here's the linky:

Akira Class Starship
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

SWEET!!! I kicked so much non-Federation tail with that ship in Armada and Armada 2....
  3. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

Nice ! Thank you Zoshou ! Well worth the wait !
  4. sherban

sherban Member

Thanks Zoshou, very nice model. Thank you Milleniumfalsehood for the hint.
  5. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

ooh, thanks Zoshou. I've been thinking about building one in 1/1000 to complement my Federation fleet, and now I have can do it. Cool.
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Same here! That ship was and is one of my top five favorite Federation ships, and I've been waiting for this one forever!

I've been watching that site like a hawk for a few weeks now, ever since Zoshou put up the finished pics, and the moment I saw the word "Download" I went nuts! I just had to post it! :mrgreen:
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Mine's done. :twisted:
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

*sigh* I cannot teach him; the man has no patience. :wink:

To be honest, I got so excited as I was building this that it escaped my mind to take any pictures. :oops:

But in any case, here's the finished product:

Compared with Zoshou's Defiant-class Starship
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some assembly notes (YMMV):

Part #D1 is slightly larger than it needs to be in one direction, though I never quite figured out which direction. I just trimmed it until it fit part #B1.

Part #A1 is also slightly misshapen, so it won't fit *exactly* right.

There are small tick-marks all along the edges of some parts. These I believe to be for making flaps by gluing the piece to a spot of blank cardstock and cutting the flaps out from that for a butt-joint.

The interiors of the warp pylons, the torpedo launcher pylons, and parts #A5 and #A6 need to be reinforced with additional layers of cardstock or heavy chipboard.

Instead of doing it like the instructions said, I built the upper saucer first, followed by the catamaran double-hulls, the lower hull, and finally the warp engines. This allowed for a much more stable building surface for the topside when it dried.

All in all, it's a great kit! I intend to build a few more of them along with the Enterprise-E, some Saber-class starships, and some Defiant-class starships. Can someone with photoshop skillz make some name and registry number parts? I have no way of adding any markings myself and it will look rather silly to have 15 ships with no name.
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Here's a page with a comprehensive list of all known Akira-class starships, both canon and apocryphal:

Akira Class

The ones emboldened on that page are:

USS Akira NX-62497
    USS Rabin NCC-63293
    USS Gettysburg-A NCC-65612-A
    USS Spector NCC-65549
    USS Thunderchild NCC-63549

These would probably be the ones I'd do first. Regarding the Gettysburg-A, it's labeled as the Gettysburg 2 in Star Trek Nemesis, but there has never been a ship with a suffix of "2" or any number. They're always letter designations, so I'd want a letter suffix instead of the 'official' number 2.

Btw, this model has 13 photon torpedo tubes, an obscene number to most Trekkers, but I happen to like the idea of a ship designed to carry torpedoes as it's primary armament, as the Federation needs a heavy-hitter like this to combat the Dominion and the Borg.
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Sounds good, do you know which font you want to use? Do you want the TNG era font, the pre-TOS, TOS, or other font for your ships?

Whichever one is correct, I guess. Ideally, it would be the one which best matches the font on Zoshou's Enterprise-E.
  11. Perry

Perry New Member

I use a font called "federation" that should be the correct.

Also... watch out that if you build the Thunderchild, in "first contact", she hasn't the name on the upper saucer ( she has only the register number ). And it should have a red border.

I've nearly completed my thunderchild ( from zoshou I've chosen the "sector 001 battle" ships: Enterprise, Yeager, Defiant and now Thunderchild :D ), just the two nacelles and she's ready to battle ghgh
  12. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

PERRY DID YOU PHOTO THE BUILD OF THE ENTERPRISE?? IF YOU DID COULD I HAVE A COPY OF THE PHOTOS ?:thumb:
    deskjet@blueyonder.co.uk
  13. Perry

Perry New Member

Unfortunately I don't ^^... when this thread started I had already built the saucer... too much hurry to put it in the fleet... sorry
  14. Perry

Perry New Member

The Thunderchild has left the Fleet Yards!
    About 60% of the parts were laminated with comics shipping cardboard to give her a strongest appear. Also all borders were painted with a black marker. And most of all... much much much LOVE! :D

[​IMG]

Here's the registry number... without the name... as seen in the movie
    [​IMG]

Armed and ready... 13 torpedo launcers are BAAAAAD!
    [​IMG]

Port nacelle... you can't see it... but there's the name and the registry... believe me :D
    [​IMG]

Lower saucer... an hard piece... but not as the upper pilons
    [​IMG]

And finally the deflector
    [​IMG]
  15. D-WHALE

D-WHALE Utopia Planitia Engineer

@Perry
    Looks very good:thumb: but I believe on the nacelle is also no registration name, only the number:confused: have you original pics with this "movie"-version and can you see the name on the nacelle?

Bye:wave:
  16. D-WHALE

hi CJ!
    only btw: you can also make the USS AKIRA with a "NCC"-registration!

Ex Astris Scientia - Starfleet Ship Classes A-K

its the same thing like the Excelsior; first was the registration "NX-2000" and then "NCC-2000"! I made it with my Akira-ship and gave to it this registration!
    (more pics will follow) And the registration on my ship is in HI-RES:twisted:

:wave:

Attached Files:

17. Perry

Perry New Member

Hi D-Whale!

Very Good job.... did you designed also the stand?... Zoshou's one is a little bit too "easy"..
  18. D-WHALE

just recolored the parts:mrgreen:, but it is the same stand! I dont have the time:oops:

Attached Files:

19. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

how did you place the registration on the akria could you tell me how you did it please d-whale :thumb:
  20. D-WHALE

I used Corel Draw for that! if you dont have that program, i can do nothing for you:cry: With that program it is very easy to make the registration on the ship! or you send me an PM and i will give you a tip:twisted: