Airtractor - coming soon

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by sjsquirrel, Oct 20, 2006.

1. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Hi all.

After reading a post from Geedubbya a while back (http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4575) I've been working away on developing a model of the Airtractor (I think it's the 402 model).

[​IMG]

I'm just finishing up my second beta build, and Geedubbya is working on a test build as well. Here's how she looks so far.

[​IMG]

The original 3D model was developed by Ron Olsthoorn. I tidied it up and did the development of the paper model. This is my first ever development and it's been a lot of fun, and I've learned a lot about Metasequoia and Pepakura in the process.

I will be releasing the model in 1/48, 1/72, and business card sizes (I'm getting to like those little ones :) ). Right now I'm cleaning up the problems I've found in my builds and fine-tuning the scale. The one pictured above came out around 1/100. I made some changes in Meta and forgot to account for them when I scaled the development in Pepakura, so it came out smaller than intended.

Stay tuned for further developments!
  2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Hi all.

After reading a post from Geedubbya a while back (http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4575) I've been working away on developing a model of the Airtractor (I think it's the 402 model).

[​IMG]

I'm just finishing up my second beta build, and Geedubbya is working on a test build as well. Here's how she looks so far.

[​IMG]

The original 3D model was developed by Ron Olsthoorn. I tidied it up and did the development of the paper model. This is my first ever development and it's been a lot of fun, and I've learned a lot about Metasequoia and Pepakura in the process.

I will be releasing the model in 1/48, 1/72, and business card sizes (I'm getting to like those little ones :) ). Right now I'm cleaning up the problems I've found in my builds and fine-tuning the scale. The one pictured above came out around 1/100. I made some changes in Meta and forgot to account for them when I scaled the development in Pepakura, so it came out smaller than intended.

Stay tuned for further developments!
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cool! Cool! Cool!........... um......... that looks good, I believe I would like one please.

Now let me leave so I can dance around the room, pumping my arm up and down. Excuse me.

Boy I'm glad I don't have one of those web cams hooked up, that could be a little bit embarrassing:grin:

john
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cool! Cool! Cool!........... um......... that looks good, I believe I would like one please.

Now let me leave so I can dance around the room, pumping my arm up and down. Excuse me.

Boy I'm glad I don't have one of those web cams hooked up, that could be a little bit embarrassing:grin:

john
  5. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Steve, guys,

Well, I just wanted to comment on Steves work on this model. It looks great even in the preliminary stages. I sent the 3d model designer a copy of the beta build and he is enthused about it.
    I had started "fiddling" with this project about a yr ago and was progressing no where fast with having work over all the time and then my neck injury. Steve contacted me around the time I had my neck problems and said he would be happy to take over the project. He did all the work to this model except the 3d model used as a base for this paper model.
    So, basically all I had to do with this was get permission from the 3d designer to use his model for conversion into a card model.
    Even my original "meshes" that I took from the 3d model were never used by steve..........He did this all by himself and did a great job I might add.
    His initial beta build was in 1/72 scale which is abit on the small side, he even commented to me in a recent email that the "sprayer bar" was giving him abit of trouble, But I am sure that that problem will soon be overcome, especially once the 1:48th scale model is released.
    This is an aircraft that I see almost daily living in the delta region of Arkansas, I am sure anyone who lives anywhere close to agricultural areas have also seen this aircraft.
    Recently there were models of the airtractor 502 and 602 were released on the "papermodels " forum, this model of the 402 (which was in the works long before we knew of any release of other airtractor models), should complete the airtractor line of cropdusters.
    Anyway, with this being Steves "First attempt" at designing, I can only believe that there are more great looking models to come from him.

Great Job Steve!

Have a good day all,

Greg

6. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Steve, guys,

Well, I just wanted to comment on Steves work on this model. It looks great even in the preliminary stages. I sent the 3d model designer a copy of the beta build and he is enthused about it.
    I had started "fiddling" with this project about a yr ago and was progressing no where fast with having work over all the time and then my neck injury. Steve contacted me around the time I had my neck problems and said he would be happy to take over the project. He did all the work to this model except the 3d model used as a base for this paper model.
    So, basically all I had to do with this was get permission from the 3d designer to use his model for conversion into a card model.
    Even my original "meshes" that I took from the 3d model were never used by steve..........He did this all by himself and did a great job I might add.
    His initial beta build was in 1/72 scale which is abit on the small side, he even commented to me in a recent email that the "sprayer bar" was giving him abit of trouble, But I am sure that that problem will soon be overcome, especially once the 1:48th scale model is released.
    This is an aircraft that I see almost daily living in the delta region of Arkansas, I am sure anyone who lives anywhere close to agricultural areas have also seen this aircraft.
    Recently there were models of the airtractor 502 and 602 were released on the "papermodels " forum, this model of the 402 (which was in the works long before we knew of any release of other airtractor models), should complete the airtractor line of cropdusters.
    Anyway, with this being Steves "First attempt" at designing, I can only believe that there are more great looking models to come from him.

Great Job Steve!

Have a good day all,

Greg

7. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Stack em or roll em?

Hi all.

I've posted a couple pictures of my first complete build of the airtractor in the gallery and am just about finished the development for the 1/48 scale model. I'm currently doing a final test build and making an assembly guide.

A question for you - I've made models where the wheels were made by stacking disks of the appropriate size, which are then edge colored, and recently I made one of Kancho's models where the wheel is made by rolling a strip of paper of the proper width. I haven't made lot's of things with wheels yet, so my question is "what's the most common method?", and the obvious next question is, "what do you prefer?"

So any of you that have an opinion or preference please respond. I'm trying to decide how to approach the wheels in this model. I'm currently leaning to the stacked disk approach since it's easiest, and gives good results since you can always sand them to shape them a bit, then color them.

As soon as I finish test building Gearz' Galactica I'll finish my final test build and the assembly guide, then she'll be ready for release.

Thanks,
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

IMO-For the Airtractor I would go with stacked discs also, due to it's size.

Nice job on that by the way!:grin:

Russell
  9. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Well, maybe not soon, but finally....

Due to a number of factors such as project ADD, life, and being too busy building models, this project has taken about a year longer than anticipated to complete, but I'm happy to say that it's finally here.

The Airtractor model is now available in both 1/48 and 1/72 scale. Get yours here:

1/48 version
    1/72 Version
    Assembly Guide

I hope you all enjoy building it, and please post pictures of your builds - nothing would say thanks better than a picture.

Regards,

Steve
  10. Darwin

Darwin Member

There are never enough thankyous for those who freely share. Thank you again.
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Cool!:cool:
    Thank you Steve! For the model and for sticking it out and seeing it through!
    Wooo-Hooo!:woot1:

Russell
  12. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Very nice. Thanks.

Ryan
  13. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

I realy love the artwork on this model...
    hats off...
    cheers, Billy
    aussie