air brakes

N

nachoman

does anyone know of a good website that describes the history and different types of air brake systems - preferrably with diagrams? I've always just stuck those parts on my frieght cars without giving them much thought. I've got a few hours to kill before I hop on Amtrak.

kevin

N

nachoman

hey, cool, thanks!

I am on my way from lincoln, ne to salt lake city. Should be a fun ride.

kevin

deeredriver

Aug 24, 2005
another nebraskan huh well im english really live in alma nebraska drive truck for a livin around north platte and surounding areas see lots of coal trains up there suposed to be the bigest rail yard in the world there so im told need to check it out one of thes days hope you have a good trip
nick

N

nachoman

well, i am actually an arizonan who goes to school in utah and has been doing research in lincoln. I've been in lincoln for about 3 weeks using some university facilities. But, the sumer is over and it is time to head back to utah in time for another semester. BTW - lincoln is a great city for rail activities - plenty of trains roll through here, and many of the abandoned rail lines have been preserved as bicycle trails (all of which i explored). The station downtown has a CB&Q ten-wheeler cosmetically restored, and several box cars annd a caboose. Last night, i went for a walk by the station, and overheard two gentelman talking about "layouts" :)

kevin

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
deeredriver said:
another nebraskan huh well im english really live in alma nebraska drive truck for a livin around north platte and surounding areas see lots of coal trains up there suposed to be the bigest rail yard in the world there so im told need to check it out one of thes days hope you have a good trip
nick

Well, ain't this neat. Two truck driver's on the forum (that I know of) and a soon to be truck driver with many truck driver friends in the train world. My step dad used to drive for Dick Simon based out of SLC, UT. Had to quit though because the landlord was rasing hell about him being on the road for a month and only coming home for two days. So we had to move after his quit. Made me wanna beat that old lady for giving up a great job. Out of the many trucking companies they were one of the best.

They had good equipment with a smooth ride, Freightliners with Cummins rather than that nonsense Detroit calls a motor. Air ride trailer's, trucks were kept really clean and were well maintained. By far the best dispatchers I've ever seen. They keep you rolling and go out of their way to get you the miles. But all that was before it went to Central Ref. after that guy slammed his truck head on into the California capitol at 65 MPH. Set Dick back millions and he ended up having to go bankrupt reducing the company fleet better than half of what they had and forcing a name change.

Ol' Jerry Moise is trying to buy up everything, monopolizing the trucking industry and now he's going after BNSF where he just got 3,800 container trailers to add to his fleet. I guess I kinda hi-jacked this thread with this post lol. Sorry. I guess we need a "Truck drivers" thread now. :D

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Breaker, Breaker, truck drivers. a great way to see the country. wish I was young again, I might just drive a truck, if I had it to do all over again.. perhaps not, long cold nights on the road, crazy car drivers( me included), much like droving which I did for about 20 yrs, long nights watching over a heard, mates around a night fire,out on the ranges now that was a way off life... have a good one..steve

N

nachoman

just wanted to let you all know I made it safely back to salt lake on amtrak. sorry, no photos - I accidentally buried my camera too deep in my bag :( If you have never taken the ride from denver to salt lake on the zephyr - i highly recommend it. I lost count of how many tunnels we went through. the scenery is first-rate. the coolest thing is to watch other trains from the superliner cars as we pass. near helper, UT, we passed a coal train heading the same direction as us. It must have taken 20 minutes to completely overtake it. Total cost - about a hundred bucks one-way.

kevin

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Glad to here that you made it safely! Too bad about you camera, I guess it just means we will have to make the trip for ourselves. I have often debated on taking a short round trip somewhere, now I know where. LOL

Welcome home!

Freelancer

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Tis a pity, but here in Phoenix, the sixth largest city in the US, does not have rail service. They closed the station a good five years ago and now one has to drive about 50 miles south in order to catch an Amtrak. The real bad thing is that no one put up a real fight. Hey, I don't know, I guess it left more room for freight, which I hear we are maxed out right now for places to park freight cars.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
If you're interested in the brakes for today's high speed trains -- look up KNOOR brakes on your search engine. The company is located in Westminster MD.