AHM/Riverossi Wheelsets?

RobertInOntario

I have an ATSF Pacific loco (made by AHM/Riverossi) that I think was made in the late-1970s. Its tender wheels are also used for electrical pick-up. It was running erratically today (sparking under the tender with an occasional heat/burning smell).

When I looked at the tender's wheels, both wheels on the first set of wheels are bent. I think the axel might even be bent but both wheels are definitely at an angle! :eek:

I'm not sure how this happened (although I have an idea but that's another story!), but I tried bending the wheels back into shape with pliers, realizing that this probably would not work or just pull them out of gauge. This improved it slightly but the problem repeated itself after a couple minutes.

Does anyone know if you can buy these metal Riverossi wheels at LHS's or online? I think all I need to do is pop the old wheelsets out and replace them with new ones.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

shaygetz

http://www.golfmanorhobbies.com/

However, before you try them, I may have some in my wheel box. Could you post a pic of what you need? Golf Manor is the only source of Rivarossi parts I know of. They bought out the parts inventory when Rivarossi went belly up.

I've dealt with them but, to be honest, I really didn't feel I was well treated, enough so that I do all my parts shopping in junk bins at train shows and yard sales.

Pooh Bah
Robert: I have a Rivarossi tender that disintegrated; the trucks are still OK (I think). I can't meet with you until next month sometime, though. I think the trucks are Bettendorf type.
You might find that you can buy suitable un-insulated axles in a good hobby shop.

RobertInOntario

However, before you try them, I may have some in my wheel box. Could you post a pic of what you need? Golf Manor is the only source of Rivarossi parts I know of. They bought out the parts inventory when Rivarossi went belly up.

I've dealt with them but, to be honest, I really didn't feel I was well treated, enough so that I do all my parts shopping in junk bins at train shows and yard sales.

Thanks for this info -- this sounds great. I'll try to post a pic in the next day or so. I only need one set of wheel-sets if you have the type I need. Thanks again, Rob

RobertInOntario

Robert: I have a Rivarossi tender that disintegrated; the trucks are still OK (I think). I can't meet with you until next month sometime, though. I think the trucks are Bettendorf type.
You might find that you can buy suitable un-insulated axles in a good hobby shop.

Thanks, David! As mentioned, I'll try to post a pic in the next few days. Rob

RobertInOntario

I just realized the Hornby bought out Riverossi (along with a few other MRR companies) recently. They now have "Hornby USA" or something like that. Maybe Hornby would have parts if I can't find any elsewhere? R.

Russ Bellinis

I think you may need to find the older wheel sets, unless you wish to convert to the new rp25 wheel sets. Rivarossi used the European style "pizza cutter" flanges on all of their wheels until a few years ago. The old style wheels were discontinued. Hornby probably only has the new style wheels.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Robert,

I suspect you might be better off just replacing either the wheelsets with newer, better-flanged (and better-looking!) wheelsets, or replacing the trucks entirely. Kadee has a decent selection that may fit the bill

Those old AHM/Rivarossi wheels were pretty awful, both from a flange/tread perspective and an appearance one.

The arcing/sparking/sputtering may mean that one of the wheelsets was actually in backwards, and was shorting as the loco ran along the track.

shaygetz

Those old AHM/Rivarossi wheels were pretty awful, both from a flange/tread perspective and an appearance one.

Owww, ooooo, ouch...knavish verbal sprayings of the Kato and Atlas generation. Such words would never come from the mouth of old school modelers:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

How could a generation be raised whose hearts do not pitter patter at the sight of AHM/Rivarossi steam, who spoke of such short comings with hushed tones as one would a revered loved one? ...oh the pain, THE PAIN...:p:p

Long live pizza cutter flanges and 3 pole motors...:p

y6b2a.jpg

cabforward1a.jpg

Moment of silence please...

RobertInOntario

I think you may need to find the older wheel sets, unless you wish to convert to the new rp25 wheel sets. Rivarossi used the European style "pizza cutter" flanges on all of their wheels until a few years ago. The old style wheels were discontinued. Hornby probably only has the new style wheels.

Thanks, Russ. This makes sense, so I'll try to track down some of the older wheels then. Rob

RobertInOntario

Robert,

I suspect you might be better off just replacing either the wheelsets with newer, better-flanged (and better-looking!) wheelsets, or replacing the trucks entirely. Kadee has a decent selection that may fit the bill

The arcing/sparking/sputtering may mean that one of the wheelsets was actually in backwards, and was shorting as the loco ran along the track.

Thanks! The wheels are actually bent at odd angles and the bearing itself might be bent. I'll see if I can get by with older or newer ones as I'm still researching this. Rob

RobertInOntario

Owww, ooooo, ouch...knavish verbal sprayings of the Kato and Atlas generation. Such words would never come from the mouth of old school modelers:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

How could a generation be raised whose hearts do not pitter patter at the sight of AHM/Rivarossi steam, who spoke of such short comings with hushed tones as one would a revered loved one? ...oh the pain, THE PAIN...:p:p

Long live pizza cutter flanges and 3 pole motors...:p

y6b2a.jpg

cabforward1a.jpg

Moment of silence please...

Thanks -- appreciate your comments!! These are great pics of great locos! I'll still try to take some pics of my Pacific over the next few days (as I'm a little busy at the moment). Cheers, Rob

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic

Long live pizza cutter flanges and 3 pole motors...:pMoment of silence please...

Yeah, and Edsels, and Pintos and hound'stooth bell-bottoms. :cry: The good old days! Feh! You can keep 'em! sign1

For the record, I had a Riv Hudson, Berk, and an 0-6-0. I lovingly turned down the flanges on all of them, and replaced the wheelsets in the tender trucks - back in the '80s! So there! :p

shaygetz

For the record, I had a Riv Hudson, Berk, and an 0-6-0. I lovingly turned down the flanges on all of them, and replaced the wheelsets in the tender trucks - back in the '80s! So there! :p

:thumb::thumb::thumb: I pondered doing that back in the 80s, too. Just couldn't bring myself to do it---like cutting scale flanges on 027 Lionel...perish the thought....though I'm not above remotoring them and putting DCC in them, go figure ;)

L

lester perry

OK now I know I have replaced Mantua wheels and think I have Riverossi with IHC passenger couch wheel sets for electrical reasons with success. You can get them in packs of 10 or 12 and not all that expensive.
Les

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
I think the IHC wheels would be a little small - they're 31" diameter, and most tender wheelsets would have been 33" or so.

steamhead

I have an ol' (late 60's vintage...) Fleischmann 0-6-0 with a pancake motor and pizza cutter flanges....I don't run it anymore...:cry: Back then my ol' man was looking into getting some Rivarossi stuff, but never got around to it....

RobertInOntario

Here are a couple pics ... One is of the actual loco and the other shows the wheel-sets on the tender, where the problem area is. It's the tender's first set of wheels (from the front) that are damaged.

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback you can offer!

Rob

ATSF_w_0078.jpg

ATSF_w__0075.jpg

Ray Marinaccio

Hi Robert,
I see why the sparks and burning smell occurred.
One of the tender trucks is turned around and causing a short circuit.
On the AHM Pacific, the tender should pick up power from only one rail.
In the photo, the wheels with the metal disc that transfers power from the rims to the axle of one truck are opposite the pick up wheels on the other truck and should be on the same side.

shaygetz

Ray's right, that is a common boo boo with Rivarossis and others like them where the wheelsets are easily turned around. I have spare axles but not the grounded type in that diameter.