agm-86 cruise missile

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by col. kurtz, Jan 31, 2008.

1. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

has anyone built the agm-86 cruise missile in the downloads section ?
    im confused as to how the air exhaust ans air scope is made up ? can anyone shed light (by photos ) of how this part is made up ?:thumb:
  2. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

I used to repair and test the AGM-86 Criuse missile when I was stationed at Minot AFB so I know exactly what it looks like. Give me a day our 2 to whip out some photos for you.

Best Regards,
  3. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

thanks ron !!:thumb:
  4. Ron Caudillo

Ok, I got the air inlet figured out and built. I'll post some pics later as my camera was stolen and I had to bring the model to work to use a co-worker's camera. I have a really cheap one and the pics are pretty fuzzy. Embarrased to post 'em.

Best Regards,
  5. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

thanks ron i look forward to seeing them:thumb: thanks mate !!!:thumb:
  6. Ron Caudillo

AGM-86C model

Ok, here are some pictures I took of the engine area of the AGM-86C model designed by James Hairston. I've also included 2 jpgs I found on the net and a jpg of the model parts.

First I'd like to apologize for the crummy pictures; I'm not a great photographer. James has done a teriffic job of designing this model as it has quite a few complex surfaces, especially the engine inlet area. Even though the sides of the missile are flat (trapeziod in cross-section), they have some pretty good curves at the nose.

Be patient when forming the air inlet. I found it easiest to start by forming the front by gluing the small white tab on it to the adjacent edge. Let this dry completly as you will have to do a lot of roll forming of the air inlet and you don't want this tab to separate. This will form a small "peak" at the top because the actual inlet points slightly downward.

Once this small tab is dry, form the air inlet by rolling the center area. Don't fold on the center line. You can see on the last jpg that I have indicated 2 lines that must be folded to make 2 tabs that are used to glue it to the top of the missile body. The rear of the air inlet is trapezoidal in cross-section to match up with the missile body. Because I couldn't get this area to match precisely, I cut open the front surface of missile body (where it meets the air inlet) and fit the rear edge of the air inlet into it. This is how it is on the real missile anyway. The joint is a rubber boot that flexes and allows the air inlet to open when it deployed after launch. You can see how it is stowed in the top jpg. Because this part is pretty small, it was a bit challenging to get the joint to fit and look good at the same time. I apologize for the appearance of it in the build photo.

Once I got this rear area glued in place (I had to cut small tabs into the rear of the air inlet to get it to fit inside and stay put) I had to let it dry completly. Then I started on the front of the air inlet. This is oval shaped and there is a strip that is used to from this oval ring over 2 tabs that stick out to the front. I used a short part of this strip to make a short vertical wall that is under the oval inlet. You can see this in the close up shot. I also had to make the inside dark grey stril a bit narrower because it ran into this vertical wall.

One more thing, You will want to make some tabs for the rear of the missile body as the 2 sides form a point at the top. The engine exhaust area will also be rounded (see last closeup shot).

I hope this helps you!
    Best Regards,

Attached Files:

7. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

thanks ron ill start the build tomorrow i think i see how its made up its not as hard as i thought.....justy spent two n half hours making up one water float and the neck brace for my gpm catalina pby-2 ...man that was tricky
    thanks again:thumb:
  8. Ron Caudillo

Post some pics of your ALCM, I'd love to see 'em!

Best Regards,
  9. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

hi ron,and everyone !! just to update completed the agm apart from the rear exhaust ansd the air scope interior which ill do at some point in the next couple of days heres some photos to update :thumb:

Attached Files:

10. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

final photo ....will update when completed !! :thumb:

Attached Files:

11. Ron Caudillo

Col. Kurtz,
    I see where you cut out the area for the rear of the airscoop. I think you will find it builds better by doing this. Model is looking good!

Best Regards,
  12. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

:thumb:thanks ron, it built quite easliy gonna recolour the base model in grey and olive drab as in the photos you supplyed will update asap thanks for your help ron very much appreicated !!:thumb:
  13. Ron Caudillo

Hi Col. Kurtz,
    On the missiles I worked on, they were painted a light grey only. No decals or emblems. Just a few stencils of access hatches. Really kinda boring.

The top photo with the missile being loaded shows the typical markings and color (as I remember- I retired in early 1995). We called the little vehicle that is loading the missile a JAMMER. Now that would make a cool model for dioramas. These loading vehicles are used for attaching all bombs, missiles, and rockets to Air Force aircraft. We'd have to have someone currently serving to get us some dimensions, drawings, and maybe pictures too.

Best Regards,
  14. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

just complete building took (about 4 hrs) the agm -86 in 1:25 scale whaich i reduced from the 1:50 to save printing 6 variations of the agm heres the pics guys(and girls)sign1 i also made the base which ive displayed it on.:thumb:

Attached Files:

15. Ron Caudillo

Simply great!

You really did well on that air inlet; I'm glad I was understandable. The body seams look very good too! Pictures and mounting are fantastic!

Best Regards,
  16. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

thnaks ron the agm is mounted on the stand using a piece of white plastic spue that i scraped down in size it can be removed and the satnd is mounted on 45 degree angled supports.my next project on the aviation front will be the tomahawk cruise missle from fiddlersgreen and finally finish my gpm catalina :)
    thanks for your help with the build and the photos much appreicated :thumb:
  17. Ron Caudillo

My pleasure! Always glad to help however I can. Many have helped me and I want to keep up this spirit of cooperation. Thanks to the many fine folks here!

Best Regards,