African Canadian CNR Sleeping Car Porters

Hey Guys,

I've got a school project to do in African Canadian Studies, and i chose to do my project on the CNR sleeping car porters, specifically, the African Canadian CNR sleeping car porters.

I'm in the process of searching the internet, but i figured i should ask here too.

Does anyone have any information, websites, pictures or links about the African Canadian CNR Sleeping Car Porters? I thought they did more then just the sleeping cars, and if so, i can use that information too.

Any help would be greatly appriciated and would be credited as a source of information on the PowerPoint presentation.

Thanks again
later
AR

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Siderod, I don't know how much this will help with your project, but it's a fond memory of mine and has to do with an African Canadian porter.

When I came home from art college in Halifax for the last time, my parents paid for me to have a sleeper/roomette on the train. My fellow students had given me a farewell bottle of scotch, and I had my guitar with me in the roomette.

The porter was an African Canadian man, and when he came around in the evening to make sure I had everything I needed, I invited him to have a drink of scotch with me. He agreed, and agreed to a refill as well. By then we were trading the guitar back and forth and having a great time. It was one of those perfect moments you never forget - riding the rails, swigging on some scotch, and playin' a little blues.

Val