Affordable near N gauge SUVs

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Most of our LHS sell N gauge vehicles for more than I am willing to pay. Today, I found some close to scale SUVs at Walmart. Also some other vehicles called SPEEDEEZ. 5 vehicles for $6.99
What to you folks think?

Attachments

• cars.jpg
    cars.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 205

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
They could be a good starting point. A little body work with a file and a new paint job could give you some nice SUVs.
I was looking at Micro Machines, But the size just didn't look right to me for N or HO scales.
Then I saw the ones that looked like they got stepped on. Fat-Boys? or something like that. A couple of passes through a bandsaw and gluing them back together might work.
I like the hamburger joint idea too.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hey, at N scale that ain't so bad and the price is right. They don't look that much different from some of the stuff the LHS is selling at five times that price.

The other thing I don't like about what the LHS sells is that there are always two identical vehicles in each package and most of the choices seem to be limited to the 40's and 50's.

I'm headed to Wal-Mart this morning, think I'll stop by the toy dep't.

Don

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Not bad for the price Robin. I'll be going to Wal Mart this evening and will check out their toy department. So far, everytimg somebody mentions something they got at Wal Mart, I check out and my Wal Mart don't have it. Example, the tatoo paper for making decals. My Wal Mart has never heard of it. Last year somebody mentioned some small cars for N scale they perchased at Wal Mart. Nothing even close here.

I do know that Wal Mart stores will stock according to location and ethnic groups.

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Originally posted by YakkoWarner
They do look a bit cartooninsh. However... Paint them outragously and set them up around a Hamberger joint and stage an "Import Tuner" night!
Don't forget to add ridiculously large spoilers, double-decker wings, 5" tachs, humongous tailpipes, Nitrous oxide bottles in the trunk, tons of sponsor stickers, booming stereos, and neons to them!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Robin,

Went to Wal-Mart today and found the Speedeez. They had packs of 5 cars with 5 more free at $4.88 (US) and 5 packs of MicroMachine for half price ($2.88). I got 40 different vehicles including construction stuff for less then I'd pay for just 4 at a LHS or even on the net.

They are so close to N scale, that at that price, who will notice, and who cares if they do....

Oh yeah, and they don't look as cartoonish as they do in the picture either.

Don

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Wow Don that is a great price you got them for. Makes the price we pay here in Canada too much but still a bargain. You are right about the look. They are great. Too bad my photo didn't show them up as well as it should.

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Too cartoonish? Not after some real quick mods, and touch-up...
All I did was remove the unprototypical 'skirting/body kit',shave the undercarriage to match, and painted mirrors silver, underbody flat black, and glued the wheel assy back under. They all need new wheels/tires also, unless they like 'wheeling on slicks! More pics in Rail Images!
Here's a shot of the slammed (box stock) Ford Explorer/Expedition versus the homebrew modded Jeep Grand Cherokee:
agp.sized.jpg

Also, a shot of a few of my new off-roaders about to get thir trucks dirty! *mud coming soon*
agt.sized.jpg

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
I just bought three packs (25 cars total) for $15. (The SUVs didn't come with 5 free cars, but the other two packs did, and each included an H2 Hummer!)

You hear that Val? I got two Hummers for your expedition. How many do you need? :)

While ALL of the cars are too big for N-scale, some of them are unusable. (The Jeep Wrangler and the small 2-door hatchbacks come to mind.) But the larger vehicles are "close enough" and as long as you don't put them near "True N-scale" vehicles, they look fine.

I plan to use these to populate a multi-level parking garage, so I think for that purpose, they should do just fine.

By the way, for you mathematicians out there, that's 60 cents a car!

Hemi, I think I will do your shaving trick as well. That "trim" around the base is horribly oversized and the wheels need to be changed. Otherwise, nice set of cars! :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I fugure them to be 1/150 scale. And yeah, if you don't put them too close to any N scale vehicles, they do OK. :thumb:

An yeah, I like the new smilies too...:wave:

D:sleeping: N