Advise on travel to New Mexico back to Florida

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Hate to do it... Haven't caught up with everything, yet... BUT...

I'm flying out to Albuquerque, NM to spend some time with my parents.
I'll be there on the Aug 9th and headed towards Florida sometime around the 12th...
I need to be back in Florida on the 24th.

So... To you fine folks... What do we see?
I know I need to get a reservation on one of the Grand Canyon-ish Railways... pros/Cons of the ones out there?
Anybody want to grab a bite and visit on my way back?
I know we're hitting San Antonio and the Riverwalk (may be more exciting on a weekend, but...)... Anyways... Talk to me...

I saw on the tube a new cantilevered obsrvation deck at the Grand Canyon, which they say is really spectacular! I first thought it a little obtrusive, but the place is so big that it doesn't really take up much of it!:D I would love to get out there to see it. My better half has been Out West quite a bit, but I've mostly been confined in my wanderings to the eastern half. Guess I'm ready to bust out. I love San Antonio, too!:thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That viewing deck isn't open yet. They've had the ceremonies and all, but they've yet to build the part where you'll go in and pay and probably buy all sorts of mementos and other trinkets. When it does open it will cost $75 per person to go out there. $25 or it goes to the tribe, $50 to the company that built it.

I haven't spent much time in Albuquerque, it's been well over ten years since I've been there, but there are a few sightseeing railroad rides just to the north. Head north to Santa Fe, then to Durango, CO. It's definitely a lot closer that Williams, AZ where you'd go to catch the Grand Canyon RR. There's another train ride just north of the New Mexico border, but I can't remember what or where it was. I'll search my bookmarks again, in the meantime, maybe someone else can tell you.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think there is a narrow gauge train that was part of the Rio Grande that runs out of Chama New Mexico up into Colorado. I think it has "Chama" in its name, but I don't remember what the tourist road is named now.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
hey, i went to the river walk yesterday. its pretty cool. Lets just say I love being single.

As far as Albuquerque, you can visit the historic US 66. the downtown area is really nice. the old part of town has lots of neat things. And you can see the RailRunner. I need a RailRunner locomotive and cars in N Scale. The natural history museum is really nice. And its pretty close to Interstate 40. The Coronado mall. Ummm, gosh, I should have gone out more while I lived there.