Advice on old diesel loco....

ok, here is the deal. i am modelling 1950's era with land like that of WV and PA. i have some cheap locomotives and would like to invest in a quality locomotive for my mainline. i really like the look of the Alco RS-1 and the RS-11 as well. i have not been able to find many of these other than atlas (which seems limited).

anyone have any ideas on similar models or others that my fit my bill? i am looking to spend around $100 and am running standard DC.

also, due to space constraints, the track has a 15" radius, so the shorter the better!

thanks for any advice!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Both the RS-1 and the RS-11 from Atlas should be readily available for under $100.00 on the used market. I've seen some recently at the LHS for $70.00 or $80.00, although I didn't check the roadnames. Any reputable hobbyshop will run a used loco for you to check it out, although on-line, you take your chances. You won't be disappointed with any Atlas diesel, in my opinion. I do wish they'd make some steam power, though. :)
Here are some RS-11s on my layout: the second and third units are Atlas, and the other one is a Model Power/LifeLike unit that has been de-motored and re-detailed.

100_5549.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, 2680, I custom painted them using Accupaint CP Action Yellow for the ends and striping, and Floquil Engine Black. The lettering is dry transfers from a C-D-S alphabet set, used as a paint mask. I'm not sure if they'll run on a 15" radius, as my minimum is 30". How about an Atlas S-4 or other switcher?
2007-01-10060.jpg

Wayne

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
The Alco S-series switchers are shorter than the RSes, yep. I don't know about the RSes for sure, but the S locos (S1, S2, S3, S4) will all work on 15" radius no problems.

The RSes should work on 15" radius I think.. I've got big 4-axle power on my pike such as Athearn GP38-2s and they go around 15" curves no problems.

If you want Alco S-series switchers, Another alternative is Proto 2000. They make some really nice S1s and S2s and they cost under $40. They are not DCC-equipped, but do have a DCC-ready circuit board (for plugging in a decoder). The P2Ks do have very low gearing-- It has a low top speed and crawls very nicely, and it works on 15" radius. The detailing on the P2K Alco S locos also puts the Atlas to shame.. Though the Atlas is no slouch when it comes to running either.

Hope this helps.