Advice on old diesel loco....

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by 2680, Jan 27, 2007.

1. 2680

2680 Member

ok, here is the deal. i am modelling 1950's era with land like that of WV and PA. i have some cheap locomotives and would like to invest in a quality locomotive for my mainline. i really like the look of the Alco RS-1 and the RS-11 as well. i have not been able to find many of these other than atlas (which seems limited).

anyone have any ideas on similar models or others that my fit my bill? i am looking to spend around $100 and am running standard DC.

also, due to space constraints, the track has a 15" radius, so the shorter the better!

thanks for any advice!
  2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Both the RS-1 and the RS-11 from Atlas should be readily available for under $100.00 on the used market. I've seen some recently at the LHS for $70.00 or $80.00, although I didn't check the roadnames. Any reputable hobbyshop will run a used loco for you to check it out, although on-line, you take your chances. You won't be disappointed with any Atlas diesel, in my opinion. I do wish they'd make some steam power, though. :)
    Here are some RS-11s on my layout: the second and third units are Atlas, and the other one is a Model Power/LifeLike unit that has been de-motored and re-detailed.

[​IMG]

Wayne
  3. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

4. 2680

2680 Member

man, your rs-11's look great!!!! are those custom painted?

i like the atlas line of stock, just never had one of their locos.... any feelings on how they would run on a 15" radius?

thanks!
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Thanks, 2680, I custom painted them using Accupaint CP Action Yellow for the ends and striping, and Floquil Engine Black. The lettering is dry transfers from a C-D-S alphabet set, used as a paint mask. I'm not sure if they'll run on a 15" radius, as my minimum is 30". How about an Atlas S-4 or other switcher?
    [​IMG]

Wayne
  6. 2680

2680 Member

yeah, i had seen the s-4 as well and liked it. my LHS has both models new for $60 (atlas), so i will go there next week and see which one is shorter (or has closer wheels) for my small radius. thanks for all your help!

brett
  7. radar

radar Member

Walthers has a proto 1000 rs-2 and athearn also has a rs-2
  8. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

The Alco S-series switchers are shorter than the RSes, yep. I don't know about the RSes for sure, but the S locos (S1, S2, S3, S4) will all work on 15" radius no problems.

The RSes should work on 15" radius I think.. I've got big 4-axle power on my pike such as Athearn GP38-2s and they go around 15" curves no problems.

If you want Alco S-series switchers, Another alternative is Proto 2000. They make some really nice S1s and S2s and they cost under $40. They are not DCC-equipped, but do have a DCC-ready circuit board (for plugging in a decoder). The P2Ks do have very low gearing-- It has a low top speed and crawls very nicely, and it works on 15" radius. The detailing on the P2K Alco S locos also puts the Atlas to shame.. Though the Atlas is no slouch when it comes to running either.

Hope this helps.
  9. 2680

2680 Member

thanks alot for all your help. don't know how we did things before the internet!

i'll look at my LHS this week and make a decision.

thanks again.
  10. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

I don't know about the Athearn RS2's but I do know that the two Athearn RS3's I have won't take 15" radius well.