Advice on Good window materials...

RonP

Member of the WMRC
I'm working on a pine model (its free)
i was thinking for this one i'd case the windows over the clapboard and put a window like material behiund the window trim.

What are some good materials to use as glass. No need to be see through

zedob

either black styrene or clear styrene with a black backing. You can increase the illusion of depth by making curtains or shades that can be sandwiched between the clear and the black styrenes. My $.02

hobokid

thebull
i use transparency sheets, if you go to a kinkos or printing place they usually sell it by the sheet and its only like 50 cents.you get a lot of window surface from just one sheet:)

CCT70

I second the overhead transparency idea. I use the ones from work all the time. If I want a frosted window that I can't see into though, I use the frosty sheet protectors.

For frosted windows, I used the tops from yogurt containers. Mrs. Doc loves the stuff so I have an endless supply. For clear I use sheets of acetate like Tom does. For industrial blind I use masking tape on the inside. For residential structures I often san and reduce pictures of drapes from catalogs and then cut and glue inside the windows.
Doc

CCT70

My girlfriend hit on a good idea that has probably been used here before. On the church she's building, she took Sharpie markers and colored stained glass panels in reverse (on the inside of the acetate) and it really looks like stained glass when light shines through it.

fsm1000

For a real look I would use glass for microscopes simply because it is real glass.
However, saran wrap will do in a pinch as well.
Old photo negatives have been used as well.

Basically any type of clear plastic can be used, even sandwich bags if you want too.

Hope that helps.

CCT70 said:
My girlfriend hit on a good idea that has probably been used here before. On the church she's building, she took Sharpie markers and colored stained glass panels in reverse (on the inside of the acetate) and it really looks like stained glass when light shines through it.

Hey-y-y, I like that!:thumb:

I save the plastic from packaged items from the store, my wife got a bath set that came in a long, rectangular 1/16" thick plastic container that is clear. Kinda like the packaging from Athearn rtr units is what I use.:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Another nice thing about transparency sheets is you can create a grid or graph on Word or other program and print it. Copy it onto a transparency and you have a sheet full of windows with munions.
Ralph

Tileguy

The same type thing can be done with do it yourself laminating rolls.(no heat required)
Cut twice the length needed, add very thin styrene (either white or painted) fold over to make a complete pane (it self sicks)
Also Handy for making Signage.
1 roll will last through several fishing & hunting license's, 1/2 dozen SS cards and 1/2 dozen or more models depending on size and scale.
If you dont hunt or fish...........you may never run out ;)

Re : windows

I have used some of the thin packing material , its hard to describe the kind I mean, but a lot of electronics come wrapped in it. Its got tiny air pockets in it ,is a milky white color, about 1/16 or less thick.
I use a razor blade to split a small piece in half, this exposes the random sized & placed air bubbles, using a tooth pic you can now use paint to fill these & get a very effective stained glass window that will even appear to have the rough , bumpy texture that real stained glass sometimes has.

davidstrains

I have a supply of the clear plastic covering material that comes on many products that you buy in the "bulk" stores such as COSTCO, or Sam's Club, BJ's, etc. I keep the flat portions and recycle the waste.