Advice about Montreal and Environs

grumbeast

Hi All,

I'm off on vacation to Quebec city the week of the 20th and my wonderful wife has suggested I rent a car and do some railfanning on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of that week (thats right!!! three days!)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to go for interesting traffic and good photo opportunities (I'll share!!) I'm also planning on a morning at the museum in Delson.

So any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Graham

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Graham,

The local modular club just went (or will just be going - I forget which) to Montreal. I will try to find their itinerary and send it to you shortly. They had a big day of railfanning planned...

The railway museum at Delson (south shore) that is apparently not to be missed - I see it is on your itinerary already ;). There is more info at www.exporail.org. You can visit the various stations downtown/around town, ride the commuter train (http://www.stm.info/English/trains/a-index.htm) or Metro (links at the STM page also).

Good luck! and have fun! :)

Andrew

grumbeast

Thanks Andrew,

I will have fun and the itinerary should be very useful. With luck I'll have a bunch of photo's to post when I return.

Cheers

Graham

kirkendale

Delson

Hi Grumbeast, congrates on having an understanding wife, and the three free days...
I have never been beyond Montreal going east , so it will be nice to hear on what you find... maybe next years road trip will take me that way...
Delson is great, they had a major cash infusion a couple of years ago and was able to invest in a new display building. I spent at least 1/2 a day there while my wife and a daughter was out and about. Take the camera and depending on your interests a note pad and measuring tape.
Going to Montreal from Dartmouth is a fair distance already BUT... if you cand squeeze in the time and gas money :curse: Smith Falls Railway Museum between Kingston and Ottawa is also well worth the trip, it will be pushing the drive but hey, the trains, it's all for the trains.
Have a good trip, looking forward to your posts.

TTFN

grumbeast

Well I had an amazing time and I've now been able to post a few pictures on my fotopic site (actually quite a few!) I haven't uploaded the delson pics yet but the museum is a great place to visit. Anyhow, for those interested :

grumbeast.fotopic.net

the two newest galleries are from Montreal and Quebec City.

Enjoy!

Heath

Hi Grumbeast,
I'm from Montreal now living on the west coast in BC. While I was living there a perfect spot for railfanning is at the Dorval train station. It's super easy to get to from the airport. You can actually see the airport from the train station it's that close.
The nice thing about Dorval is you get both CN and CP running very close as the tracks are about 50 feet apart. The other thing is it's a VIA station too so you'll get hot and cold running freights and passenger, not to mention the commuter trains too.
Dorval has a parking lot at the side of the station so you can park there and walk to the platform to get to see the action.
Some great railfanning as I use to go there since I was a kid, great memories too.
It's a great spot, have fun and take lots of pix too.
Delson is fantastic too. Haven't been there in a very long time, much has been added.
The interesting collection that it has are the old English box cab electric locomotives there. They were almost turn of the century and were used up until their retirement in the 90's. Very unique and you'll never see anything like them anywhere. They're done up in the CN black and red noodle scheme.

Heath