Ads on Trains

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
The art of advertising has taken on a new formas indicated by this example seen one cold evening on Georgetown Ontario This is on the side of the" Go "commuter train

Attachments

• go train ad.jpg
    go train ad.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 216

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
This photo led me down a rather strange thought path:

There is a Harry Potter train, right? And a model thereof? So I'm trying to picture modeling a car that is painted with an advertisement of a model train car, that is painted with an advertisement of a model train car, that ha .....................

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
They do this too here in Montreal ...

not on the trains, but I've seen lots of city buses totally transformed in a moving ad (not just a board fixed on the bus, I mean *completely* painted).

On rare ocasions they do it on a couple of subway wagons ... a couple of years ago the painted one in a cow pattern to promote milk, and this summer one was yellow for the grand prix.

Yes ... publicity is everywhere (got milk?) around ...

:cool:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bloody ads...

British magazine just published an article on how the advertising is put on the cars.
I've ridden on GO cars that were wrapped. I found that the stuff over the windows was not easy to see through (it has little holes in it, like an old newspoper photo) and cut down on the outside light. An awful lot of them were (pointlessly, IMO) wrapped for Toronto's failed Olympics bid and stayed wrapped for a long time afterwards. I never rode in one if I noticed before I got on.
GO had one (or more) of their busses wrapped to look like an F59, using the slogan "the bus that thought it was a train".

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
The buses i've seen done like this are not painted. It's a big graphic film that's run off in a printer/plotter. 3M manufactures one type of this. Then it's laid on the bus like a decal. Maybe you could run a decal off on an inkjet and then "decal" your cars. Paint the car white first so you can get a white color from the clear part of the decal film.

Regards,
Ted

SLOW

Nov 18, 2002
buffalo ny
Visit site
RE:

We have buses here in Buffalo NY that are one big rolling add. Almost every bus is like that here. I suppose if it keeps the bus fares down then it's worth it. There used to be trolli cars in Buffalo. Every so often the pavement will seperate and exposed the old trolli tracks. I wish they still had those, it would be too cool. It's a piece of history that won't stay burried.

slow

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Advertising will eventually sully the look and sound of everything in the world, or will certainly try to.We have virtually every golf tournament, every sports stadium, all renamed as corporate flagships of some sort.

I personally dislike the look of all these painted-up entities, be it trains , buses, or whatever. It somehow looks tacky beyond belief.......back in the 20's and 30's, even when huge painted advertising signs hit every available brick surface of our cities, can you imagine a NYC J3 Hudson painted up as a giant Coke bottle ?
The B & O Cincinnatian cars painted up as tubes of Colgate ?
Hard to envision, but that's basically what's happening now.

The latest megatrend is "product placement", which is the use of certain brands of beer, or cars, or appliances, whatever, in motion pictures and television shows. The commercials can be ignored to some degree, so the advertiser inserts product in the actual movie or show, to convince us to buy it! You know, "James Bond drives it / drinks it / wears it....so should you !...then you'll be just like him !""

Enough of my rant...gonna watch some more NFL playoff action this weekend...SO FAR, the players wear their team names and colors on their uniforms...will the league eventually cave in to advertising dollars and go to pro-soccer type "uniforms" ?:( :( :(

regards / Mike

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
It's all about making money. Here's my deranged thought on that subject.

No money. Yes, I'm serious. Now I have no clue on how that could be done, and know it won't be, but wouldn't it be nice if everyone (and I mean everyone) participated in a world where money wasn't needed, where mankind focused on the continuation of our existence, the betterment of mankind as a whole and the education of our children to carry on that priority? Everyone could have what ever they wanted, because everyone would be able to provide the same in return.

I know it's stupid, but what can I say? Anything would be better than the short sighted, greedy and dangerous world in which we live now.

All that from a Harry Potter sign on a train.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
The medium is the vehicle...

The medium is the vehicle, the vehicle is the medium.

As an artist and marketing person (switching hats) I think it's astounding in a positive manner to see vistages of such proportion and where they are placed.

As a model railroader- I'm embarrased for graffitti and the like. I shrank when I saw that manufacturers were applying grafitti to models pre-painted. Perhaps in our model world we don't have graffiti artists destroying property! Any modeler who "wants" to emulate this on their railroad only needs pick up a tool and apply marks to their equipment.

While I appreciate Mike's comments from the negative perspective- the positive side is that that is the "state of the art" in mediums.

Remember when "billboard reefers" existed- about a hundred or so more years ago?

Remember when money re-emerged in the '70s/80s for applying those big logos on the sides of cylindrical hoppers and the such? The introduction of the Chessie System logo, Amtrak- Red, White and Blue? Heck- What about Southern's Green Locos, Maroon GG-1s...

Change sucks when you see what was and what is. I still however will not buy anything other than white underwear. I do not go for printed underwear or colors. I'm funny that way.

As far as maufacturers go- they'll print/produce anything they can sell.

Mark

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Not So New

Way back when there were wood box cars and reffers that were privately owned or leased by large companies they were emblazoned with their advertising. They were called "billboard cars" because of the colorful adverstising on them.... I'm sure everyone has seen a model of the H. J. Heinz Co. pickle cars as an example or the Rath's Blackhawk Bacon reffers. Breweries were famous for their billboard cars. They were later banned by the U. S. Railroad Commision for some kind of safety reason.

Apparently there is nothing new under the sun...just an idea that's come round again!!!:D :D :D

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Well,I figured most responses would reflect disagreement with me, no surprise there. I am well aware of billboard sided cars, but don't think they compared to a "Harry Potter Train"....the Martha White Flour car had Martha White Flour IN IT.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
These days transport trucks equate to the old billboard cars. What's on 'em is usually what's in 'em.

What on earth similarity or commonality of purpose there is between a Chessie logo on a locomotive, or a Southern Green paint job , with a "Harry Potter Train", is totally beyond me.........: :confused: :confused:

It's society that will reap the ultimate destruction of everything we value, in the name of commercial advertising....I thankfully will not live to see the 2053 Super Bowl...but here's a perfectly logical, if a bit Orwellian, scenario :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Amex Place....today we bring you the 2053 Toyota Super Bowl , between the CitibankFC champion Green Bay Kraftspersons, and the Lever Bros.FC champion Seattle Boeings !! Please swipe your Amex card through the slot on your left armrest to continue. Now, please rise for the Microsoft Star Spangled Banner, as lip-synched by the 50th anniversary edition of the PfizerCloned Dixie Chicks !!!"
Please sing along , using the 2049 lyrics, as rewritten by the Exxon United States Senate.....the lyrics will appear on the 300 foot PanasonicPlasma screen above the field, as soon as you place your thumbprint on the Visa pad on the back of the seat in front of you."

The coin toss ensues, teams line up, cameras pan, ,,,the offensive line's buttocks spell out "Imodium"...their defensive opponents' hindquarters spell out "Preparation H"...GAME ON !:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D
regards / Mike

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Thomas The Tank Tram.
One of Sydney's light rail vehicles done over. I think it looks awful too.
20020609_115820.jpg

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Mike, Had to reply to your comment about a J3 being done up as a coke bottle. There was, in fact, either a Hudson or Mohawk, complete with short passenger train, done up for Rexall drugs. Can't remember the year, early 40's I think. It travelled all over their system.

MSH, Some system of exchange is needed since all men cannot produce all their own needs. In the ideal society, all men would be the owners of what they produce, and no man would have claim to the effort of others. There is a word for that, slavery. So long as man needs to trade with other men, the basic choice is money, or guns. It is not the concept of money which is evil, it is the way some people proceed to procure it.

Gary

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Woodie...thanks for the great , "truly awful image"post, I think that helps reinforce my point, but MCL_RDG may possibly advise us that he likes that Thomas paint job... ( on railroad equipment of course, never on jockey shorts )..:D :D :D

Vic...if you're going 'over' to Woodie's house, see if you can arrange your flight on the Next Big Thing...the American Airlines 747 painted up as Lord Of The Rings / The Two Towers....I think there's one....isn't there ?;) :confused:

Gary..the "Rexall drugs" NYC train is a shocker...actually glad I never saw it.
:eek: :eek:

regards / Mike

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
You guys are talking advertising on buses and trains.....
The city of Waterbury Ct. was looking at advertisments for their police cars.Said other cities in the USA are doing it. Anybody see one?
Thats great..Get arrested and taken to the station with an advertisement from a bail-bondsman posted on the crusier.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Wow!! Thanks Mike and Gary:) You have solved a mystery for me.:)

I'm a big fan and collector of old radio programs.....I always wondered why the Rexall Drug Co. intro'd their commericals with a train whistle....Now I know!!!:) :) :)

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Originally posted by Mike R
Vic...if you're going 'over' to Woodie's house, see if you can arrange your flight on the Next Big Thing...the American Airlines 747 painted up as Lord Of The Rings / The Two Towers....I think there's one....isn't there ?;) :confused:
regards / Mike

It's is actually Air New Zealand. (Where the Lord of the Rings movies were made)click here and here

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Thanks Woodie.....I just made that up about the 747.....why WOULDN'T there be a real one....?....guess there is no limit to Marketing's Graffiti of Greed.
Maybe I should try to join 'em...perhaps a local wrecking yard would pay to have a Junkyard Wars type graphic on my '93 Pontiac ???????
regards / Mike:D :D :D