Adhesives Errata

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by rockislandmike, Feb 18, 2004.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Any recommendations on what type of adhesive/glue to use to affix cardboard paper to plastic ??? I tried carpenter's glue last night, didn't work worth a darn.
  2. George D

George D Member

You can use a water base contact cement to glue paper to plastic if it's a small piece of paper. The problem I've run into is that when paper gets wet, it wrinkles, so I'm stumped for an answer for larger pieces of paper. :mad:

I'm anxious to hear the replies to this question.

George
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I would try a spray adhesive, like 3M. Spray both pieces then join together while still tacky. The 3M stuff isn't cheap, about $15 for a large can, but it works better than any other that I've used.
  4. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi ,
    Use what we call in the UK "EVO stick" or "Bostic" both are contact adhesive's
    shamus
    [​IMG]
  5. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I use clear automotive RTV silicone to glue paper products to plastic/ wood /metal when wrinkling is a problem. Works great if given time to set. The paper will rip before the glue joint gives. FRED
  6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Power Poxy Sticks-On Contact All Purpose Adhesive (The Increadible Flexible Crystal Clear Formula) :D :D :D Although I've not tried it on larger areas, it is not water based, and does not attack plastic. A thin coat on the plastic first should do, then stick on the paper. If I were doing a really large area, I would just use good old rubber cement.

If wrinking is still a problem, with any of the suggested adhesives, perhaps use of heavy matt photo paper would prevent the pruney look.
  7. Vic

Vic Active Member

Plain old rubber cement will glue cardboard to plastic. Coat both pieces to be joined with the cement, allow them to tack up and press them together.
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Hasn't anyone but me had trouble with rubber cement joints failing after a few years? The cement turns to a white dust and the parts fall apart. FRED
  9. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Fred,

Yep, I've had advertising stuff fall apart and off the wall, especially if the media was cardboard. I still have about half a gallon of the stuff I haven't touched in well over ten years because of that. Great for short term and temporary holding jobs though.