Adding some history...

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by doctorwayne, Nov 10, 2007.

1. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

...to your rolling stock.
    Modellers of current day practices are familiar with "patch" paint jobs, wherein a car or loco retains its original paint scheme but has new reporting marks and numbers painted on patches of paint covering the old ones. This is not a new practice, though, so I thought that this would be a good way to add some "history" to my fleet of hoppers.
    First, a little background is in order. My main railroad is the Elora Gorge & Eastern, a free-lance road for which I own a fairly large amount of rolling stock and a few locos, but no track. My main modelled railroad is the Grand Valley, a former competitor of the EG&E, but now a subsidiary. The other modelled railroad is the Erie Northshore, which is a company jointly owned by the Grand Valley and the EG&E. The Erie Northshore, which owns no rolling stock other than locos and a caboose, is the scene of the action shown below.

A pair of Erie Northshore Mikados rolls into Port Maitland with a cut of loaded hoppers off the TH&B interchange. The coal is destined for a power plant some distance northeast of here, and will traverse both Erie Northshore and Grand Valley tracks to get there.
    [​IMG]

The hoppers are from the "parent" companies.
    The first two are Grand Valley cars, one with GV reporting marks, the other with the name spelled out. Both have been re-numbered from their original 900-series numbers by the addition of a prefix of "6". (I'm not sure why the 6932 also got a new "9", but the addition of the "6" brings these cars into the EG&E's four-digit numbering system - the EG&E's hoppers are in the 6700s, with covered hoppers in the 6800s.)
    [​IMG]

These two cars are former EG&E cars, recognisable by the peaked ends. 6939 has been completely repainted (possibly when the steel patches were applied), while 6962 has been "paint patched", with the GVC (Grand Valley Central - same as GV) and the "9" applied over new paint, which is barely visible.
    [​IMG]

6973 is the same as 6962, while 6925 is a GV car with only the new "6" added, possibly right over the dirt.
    [​IMG]

6995 is a former EG&E car, and 6904 an original GV car. Both have been completely repainted and look the same except for the peaked ends on 6995.
    [​IMG]

6915 is an original GV car, unchanged except for the new "69" in a slightly different size that the original "15". The patched paint is almost invisible. 6936 is an EG&E car that has been completely repainted, but the size and style of lettering is different from that of 6995, shown previously. (The rebuilding/repainting work was done in various shops around the system, accounting for the variations.)
    [​IMG]

6982 is another ex-EG&E car, completely repainted like 6936 in the previous photo, but with the addition of a Grand Valley Central herald, which is essentially the EG&E herald with the wording changed. 6907, another Grand Valley car, is a complete repaint, with the smaller style lettering shown earlier.
    [​IMG]

On the day these photos were taken, our loaded train was held in the hole for an opposing move.
    [​IMG]

It was led by a single Northshore Mike, the 632, returning from the power plant with empties. Normally, the empties move at night, but problems unloading caused the departure to be delayed. While the plant has stockpiles of coal, the empties are needed at the mine for reloading, and the TH&B carfloat is being held for this train, hence its priority over the normally superior loaded train.
    [​IMG]

6950 is part of a block of slightly different hoppers, obtained used by the Grand Valley when the power plant first opened. They were reconditioned and repainted before being put into service.
    [​IMG]

6986 is another EG&E car, completely reconditioned and repainted, including a GVC herald. The centre rib looks as if it's had some repairs done.
    [​IMG]

6955 is the same as the first empty, 6950, although she's got a bit of a "patch" painted over a repair.
    [​IMG]

6728, 6735, 6730, and 6734 are all EG&E cars, with 6730 showing some evidence of repairs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6985 is another ex-EG&E car, with the large lettering, a Grand Valley herald, and signs of a repair.
    [​IMG]

6721 is an older EG&E ribbed sided car that has been rebuilt with panel sides. Other than a block of such rebuilt cars, all EG&E ribbed sided cars were transferred to the Grand Valley.
    [​IMG]

6715 is part of another small block of EG&E hoppers, all with three hopper bays. These cars were cut down from Athearn and Tyco four-bay cars, at a time when no other suitable 3 bay cars were readily available. They're a bit shorter than the current 3-bay offered by Accurail.
    [​IMG]

And finishing off our train, 6726 and 6729, both standard EG&E hoppers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope that these pictures will give you some ideas to make your trains subtley more interesting.

Wayne
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Wayne: was there any conflict when the EGE cars were merged into the GV numbering scheme? Seems like there should be a few ex EGE cars that had to be 4-digit renumbered, but not fully repainted.
  3. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

What a great thread...just to see the slight and sometimes not so slight variations really give a lot of ideas in modeling a layout. Great job Wayne.
  4. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Same here Wayne. Wonderful ideas that I will eventually get to use! I really enjoyed the photos of your rolling stock.
  5. doctorwayne

Except for the obvious patch paint jobs, all of the other cars were repainted, although the renumbering caused no conflicts. (Probably some sub-concious planning-ahead going on there.) :rolleyes:
    The EG&E cars were in two or three different lettering schemes, and some of the weathering jobs were not the way I wanted, so I repainted all of them. I had recently received a new batch of custom lettering, so they all got new lettering that was a little more subtle than the previous style, which was large lettering similar to this boxcar, although without the herald or slogan.
    [​IMG]

And, by the way, the renumbering was the GV cars into the EG&E scheme, so from 3 digits to 4. The original GV cars were all in the 900-series, so they all received a prefix of 6, making them 6900s, while the EG&E cars remained as 6700s. There were no 6700-series cars that became 6900s whose last two digits matched the original 900-series cars. :razz: Geez! Now I'm confused. :lol::-D:-D

Wayne
  6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

6721's certainly an unusual-looking hopper. I'm not familiar with any real cars like it, so it gives me the impression of a car too new for the steam era.
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Wayne, this is all so well thought out! It seems very convincing and makes the rolling stock seem so real and plausable.
    Ralph
  8. doctorwayne

Yeah, I always thought that these cars were too modern for my late-30s era layout, but both the NYC and New Haven rebuilt large batches of USRA outside-ribbed hoppers, using the same type of panels, in 1933. I don't know if these were even the first use of these panels, which were supplied, I believe, by a carbuilder. I'll have to look through my magazines for some more info.

Wayne