Adding interior detailing

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I'm about to add small details to the interior of my sawmill and am wondering how to secure fine sawdust in place in piles around the shop floor? I don't want to use anything that will stain or blow the sawbust around when I'm trying to secure it.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.

For piles, I would use a drop of wood glue, and sprinkle sawdust on it. That would not stain the sawdust. Or how about one of WS's ,many glue products?​

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I'd use a spray bottle...but use a note card to block the blast from hitting the dust...but then removing the card so that the mist settles on the saw dust...or making the shapes out of scrap wood or something...and then gluing a thin layer of "sawdust" on top. I've done that with a coal load before.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I saw somewhere, where this guy carved pink insulation board into a cone shape, then covered it with the material he wanted to make a pile of(coal, ballast, sawdust), held with diluted white Elmers glue. He mad it so he could place the piles at different points of his layout whenever he wanted.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Glen, are you wanting to make sawdust piles, or just the appearance of sawdust from the cutting operation? I'm not familier with the logging and lumber industry, but I would expect that they would produce so much sawdust cutting a tree into lumber that they would have some automated method of removing the sawdust from the sawmill floor. Do you have Shamus' cd on building his model railroad that he did a few years ago on the old Gauge? I have it, but it is packed away during the house remodel. I think he covered just about everything he did on his model railroad on that cd.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Thanks, I already made the piles (small ones) but putting the pile on the flor and then adding diluted white glue (50%glue-50%water, 3 drops of dish detergent) And they're holding fine. I next sprinkled some sawdust around the machinery and floor and used dulcote to hold it in place. Seems to be working!