Adding dynamic brakes to a GP9?

jpcamb

Jul 28, 2003
www.geocities.com
I bought a new LL P2k sound unit GP9 sight unseen with the intent to repaint in for MEC. What I didn't realize was this model did not have dynamic brakes which the model I plan to do up has. There does not seem to be a seam on the unit to pop out the dynamic brakes /standard streamline so its either a hack saw or new shell. Is that correct? what do you folks suggest?
Thanks,
Jeff

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Thats wierd.
LL's usually are sold with "road specific" details.
Seams like the dynamic panel should pop out. But I checked my Rock Island GP-9, and there is no seperate panel.
Looks like chopping is the way to go.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Yikes...what ever happened to those years we sawed, hacked and butchered those brake blisters off, filling them in with all manner of whatzits and hoodats, wailing and moaning for the day when they'd make one without them. It's manufacturer's revenge I tell ya... :thumb:

I know that on the P2K SD7's you can pop out the DB section and replace it, but i havent had a chance to look at my GP9's to see if they are the same.

I would suggest contacting Life-Like and see if they will send you another shell or sell you another shell. they are usually pretty good about getting out parts pretty quick. but i dont know what a neww undecorated shell will cost you.

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
I checked my P2K CP GP7/9 earlier tonight - it has the DB's molded as part of the shell. Not removable. Looks like you'll either have to acquire a shell with them, or scrounge up the parts to add on.
A quick search through Walther's website shows that Precision Scale make the blisters; I would have thought that Detail Associates or Details West would have made them also, but they weren't listed.