Adding a yard and stuff

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Time to expand my N layout. Since we moved, I now have a room dedicated to my layout and work area. :thumb: I want to add a yard, some industry and some cityscape and I'm not sure what else. I've got an area of about 7' x 7' in the room for the layout, the rest of the room is taken up with shelves and workbenches. My first pass is shown in this sketch. The hatched area is what I want to add. If anybody has any comments or suggestions regarding trackwork or anything else I'd appreciate hearing it.:wave::wave:

Attachments

• New layout.jpg
    New layout.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 55

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Let's see, for the No Clue Yet area, you could build the "Clueless Cafe", and , maybe, the "Sherlock Holmes Never Slept Here" Hotel? :D :D :D

I remember that layout, the additions will look good with it! :thumb: :thumb:
Pete

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm wondering if you might want to add a couple of turnouts near the ends of two of your yard ladder tracks for a locomotive escape....hmmmm, then maybe your "no clue yet" section could become an engine facilities area?
Ralph

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,
I presume the arrows indicate the direction of travel - so they'll be heading into the new yard. How are you going to turn them around for the trip back into the already built section?? Also, as has been pointed out before, you'll need some run-around tracks in the yard spurs or your engines will be "trapped" at the ends.
Gus.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, the arrows on the original layout refer to grades, up and down. I did that sketch well over two years ago and before I started on the layout. I was thinking in terms of using the yard as a storage area for some of my rolling stock and not necesarilly for operations, but you all bring up good points which is why I posted the sketch in the first place. I've never built a yard before and I suppose I should have somthing like a pass-through or loop somewhere rather than just terminating all the track there. I'm just trying to keep the new section around 24" wide, so I'm not quite sure how to handle that yet.:confused::confused:

I guess if I'm going to have a yard, I should have some way of making up a consist.:D:D

Hmm, "No Clue Cafe" eh???? That does get the artistic juices flowing though.:p:p

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
After taking in what you all had said, I've revised my layout expansion. I'm still kinda hunting around since creating a track plan isn't my best suite, especially making a reasonably realistic yard layout. :confused::confused:

Implementation isn't a problem, starting a track layout from scratch that looks good does make me wonder if I'm headed in the right direction. All comments are appreciated.:D

Attachments

• nEW layout1.jpg
    nEW layout1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 51

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
One thing I noticed is that there is no way to get back into the yards without reversing the train. Once you head out of the yard, you are continually looping in the same direction.

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
MasonJar said:
One thing I noticed is that there is no way to get back into the yards without reversing the train. Once you head out of the yard, you are continually looping in the same direction.

Andrew
See, I told you I was lousy at track planning.:eek::eek: But I see what you mean, I think.:confused: I have no way of changing directions once I've passed through the loop around the new section. But,you can't change directions on the current part of the layout as it is. I don't mind backing into those dead-end tracks, I want to use them for storage anyway, but I seem to be floundering here with how to get it to work reasonably well.

AHHHH, lightbulb!!!! :D Just had a thought.. Be back in a bit with a change. Make that a long bit...:wave::wave:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Instead of taking th yard off the mainline, I would bring a second track off the mainline down around the curve and continue it around through the city scape at the top and bring the yard off the center of that track. That gives you an East/West or North/South yard lead. I would be nice to have a long double ended yard, but given your space limitations, that probably isn't practical. Putting in the long siding with the yard off it would allow you to work the yard without fouling the mainline. You also have room to install a wye in the top right corner of the original layout to the yard. As it stands, once a train enters the bottom part of the layout, there is no way to get back to the upper part without backing it up.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ Bellinis said:
Instead of taking th yard off the mainline, I would bring a second track off the mainline down around the curve and continue it around through the city scape at the top and bring the yard off the center of that track. That gives you an East/West or North/South yard lead. I would be nice to have a long double ended yard, but given your space limitations, that probably isn't practical. Putting in the long siding with the yard off it would allow you to work the yard without fouling the mainline. You also have room to install a wye in the top right corner of the original layout to the yard. As it stands, once a train enters the bottom part of the layout, there is no way to get back to the upper part without backing it up.
Thank you Russ, I'm gunna digest what you just said because I'm sure it's a solution. :thumb::thumb: I don't know why I get "designer's block", (similar to writer's block :D) when it comes to track planning. I've designed some pretty complexed stuff in my life but I guess I just haven't been able to get a good grasp of the concept of how to design a track layout yet.:cry:

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
EZ: One more thing! (as Uncle would say)

Don't make a huge yard just to have a huge yard. make sure the yard looks right for your industries. Storage tracks for more trains is one thing. But a 'working yard' should be just big enough to cary all the trains to run your industries if you have an operating session, but no larger. A probelm I see with a lot of tracks is they build way too much yard. A small layout doesn't need yard space for 200 cars :) :)

NewGuy

Apr 30, 2005
Inland Northwest
EZ--
I am trying to plan my very first layout as we speak (type). I also will be having that "U" shaped design in my room. I very may have to incorporate some of your ideas. Mainly the concept of not have the main run the entire "U" around the layout, but save some space the idustry and yard track.

(Man these boards are full of ideas.....)

JD

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
One more time, but I might have it this time. Hey, if I don't, just let me know, it won't hurt me since track planning hasn't been my strong suite. :rolleyes::rolleyes: We don't even want to know how little I know about operations either. :eek::eek:

Anyway, it looks like this gives me a double-ended yard, plenty of storage track, which is what I'm after in the first place, and it also gives me a way of reversing direction. I can tune it up depending on what I choose for an industry, but here is the basic expansion once again.:wave::wave:

Attachments

• Layout sketch 0512.jpg
    Layout sketch 0512.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 51

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It sure looks good to me Don. You have done your homework now it is time to get on with building it. No doubt you may find changes will come to you as it progresses. That has happened to me more times than I am willing to tell.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I have to agree with this. After numerous designs, everyone that saw may plans said I had way too much yard for what needed. Thankfully I caught on to what they were saying before it was too late.

screwysquirrel said:
EZ: One more thing! (as Uncle would say)

Don't make a huge yard just to have a huge yard. make sure the yard looks right for your industries. Storage tracks for more trains is one thing. But a 'working yard' should be just big enough to cary all the trains to run your industries if you have an operating session, but no larger. A probelm I see with a lot of tracks is they build way too much yard. A small layout doesn't need yard space for 200 cars :) :)

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Don I really like the last version as well it seems to have a nice balance of space and track. I don't know if you said but what are you using to make your drawings? Thanks Pat

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks guys, I took everyone's advice to heart and I thank you all for your input.

Robin, I am in the process of doing my benchwork as we speak. I looks like it's going to work out OK.

Pat, I use TurboCad. I have the pro version release 7. They're up to I think version 10, but I really have no need to upgrade. I mentioned in another thread today that I bought TC standard version 8.2 for $10 which also include IMSI's Floorplan 7.3, but I see little difference in how I use it.

If anyone's interested, I can tell you where to get it for that, plus $3.95 shipping. I really didn't need it, but I just couldn't pass it up.:p:p