Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
The prototype.

abf.sized.jpg

My version.

aaw.sized.jpg

I used a Dimi Trains sugarbeet gondola. I know it is not exactly the same car, but I didn't think I could find a closer one without scratch building the whole thing. Maybe one of these days. :cool:

ack.sized.jpg

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Thanks.

The gondolas were not acquired from the MoPac. The AD&N had some of them as far back as 1914.

In 1977 The AD&N acquired 75 of these cars from the Missouri Pacific.

abg.sized.jpg

abh.sized.jpg

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Tad
Looks good enough for my eyeballs man! Those ex-mopac hoppers sure have a different look to them, don't look like they would be too hard to kitbash either. Got a question, picked up a HO AD&N box from Athearn for a friends layout, it's the modern car with the white door. Noticed on the MicroTrains N boxcar there is a green diagonal stripe on the door, but the HO Athearn doesn't have it. Was there some significance to the stripe? I know some roads painted the doors yellow on cars assigned for lumber service, is that what it means?

Todd (2slim)

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Thanks, Tyson & Tom.

I still need to make a woodchip load for the gondola. In the era I am modeling, the gondolas were used for intra terminal loading from the plywood mill to the paper mill and were being replaced by the hopper cars. I plan on having a couple of each dedicated to this service for my AD&N layout. I don't know how much real overlap there was, but I think I'll be okay using them like that.

There is an article on how to build one of these hoppers in HO in the March 1981 Model Railroader using an MDC offset side hopper. The article was by Terry A. Holley. The same thing could be done in N using an MDC hopper. Building two or three of them is one of my future projects.

Most of the original hoppers in this series were built between 1948 and 1950 for the Missouri Pacific by American Car & Foundry. The Missouri Pacific converted them to woodchip cars in 1959.