Acela Express

maglev

May 27, 2006
does anyone have any pictures of the Acela express? does it really have opening doors? i'm new here, so dont get really mad if someone's already posted this.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

If you are talking about the model, it is a beauty and it does have opening doors. Two of our club members own them and they are sweet runners as well.:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Welcome aboard! There is always the chance some one has asked a question previously but that's OK. Some members may have missed it or joined up later. If you want you can use our "search" feature above and type in Acela to see any threads with that word in it.
Ralph

maglev

May 27, 2006
Thanks! i am thinking of getting one. do i need anything else other than the model? i already have tracks, and a control system. thanks!

~james

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Wildcatfootball said:
On the subject of Bachmanns Acela stuff, are the couplers the normal knuckle couplers, or do they use a different device?

the Acela uses draw bars, which are much better. they allow you to run a train forwars and backwards without the couplers"bunching up" and causeing derailments when the power car is in back. you have to be carefule though, as the draw bars are easily cracked, and its hard to get replacements. i still haven't found any for my Acela, and i'm about to just buy a whole new locomotive set (mine are damged anyway...)

The pantographs also are easily messed up, although not always damaged. there is a brass tab that a wire on the pans hook up with that can be easily borken if you aren't carful. also, if the pantograph gets pull back, the wire ofetn gets un hooked, and then you need to fiddle with it for a while. they cn run on overhead power if you want. 22inch curve minimum.

Otherwise its a great model, the locomotive doors do swing open ( to a diecast interior :rolleyes:). i wonder why they put them there.

The HHP8 aclea is different though. I assume you mean the Acela express.

maglev

May 27, 2006
^thanks for the imformation - i do mean the acela express. sounds like a great model.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi maglev,

I've also one Acela in H0. I replaced the drawbars between the cars with Roco short couplers. The Acela is equiped with standard NEM 362 coupler boxes so every other short coupler or Kadee will fit in. That works very well and you're not in danger to damage your drawbars. Unfortunately it doesn't work on the locos. All in all it's a nice model, as well as the HHP-8 loco. Strongly recommended.
I'll post pictures of the coupler if you or any other member want to see it.

Tobias

maglev

May 27, 2006
i'd like to see it too! i want to know just how thin the drawbars are, and what your corrections look like!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
nope, the aclea only works with its cars.

and i don't have any pictures of my acela, since they got put ut of service literally 4 months after i got them, and i was never able to repair them. i've had the sitting collecting dust for the past 2 years. i'm going to break down and get a new locomotive set, because bachmann won't answer any calls or emails for spare parts. even when i call them, i never get anyone. ever.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Coupler details

Here are some detail fotos of the couplers and coupler box. The new drawbar for the connection between loco and car was made from two standard NEM (european style) couplers. The short couplers are from ROCO. Bachmann used NEM coupler boxes and short coupling kinematics. I included pictures of the self made new drawbar comared to the original, the coupler box on a car end, detail foto of the ROCO short coupler and two cars coupled with ROCO couplers.
Hope it'll help.

Tobias

Attachments

• car_coupler.jpg
    car_coupler.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 147
  • car_coupler_2.jpg
    car_coupler_2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 136
  • coupled.jpg
    coupled.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 144
  • drawbar.jpg
    drawbar.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Loco.jpg
    Loco.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 139

maglev

May 27, 2006
Wow! great photos! yes, now I do see the problem. If you aren't too busy, could you show pictures of the train with the door open, and the lights on, and maybe the train tilting? I've always wanted to see these things.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
the locomoticve doen't actually tilt at all, while the passenger cars can be tilted by hand, i don't think they actually tilt on the layout. I can try, because as it turns out i have a dummy coupler from my Lionel Challenger that conveinetly fits the acela's drawbar box with a kunckle type coupler, so i can use one of my trains to pull the cars around tommorow.

the doors are held closed byt a spring, so you really can't hold them open for pictures. I'm still curious why they installed that feature.

The lights are definitely cool. the forward locomotive has ditchlights and the to middle white lights glaring ahead, while the tail end has deep red lights on it. it looks so cool. the cars light up to, but its hard to see unless its dark.

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Did a little foto shooting,
here are the results. I used the dummy loco for the pictures, much easier to show the lights turned on. The cars tilt only in curves, like the real ones. There's some kind of curve on the upper side of the trucks. If you swivel the truck, it "leans" into the curve. As mentioned before by green_elite_cab, you can only hold the doors open with a finger or so. The cars tilt in curves on the layout and the couplers are mounted flexible to follow the move of the car it is mounted to. But you can hardly notice it. Saw the price for a trainset including tracks and power pack in the US. Huuuh, seems I was very lucky to get mine for only $150.

Tobias

Attachments

• DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 66

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
and to think i got mine for $150 like yours in a department store. thats crazy prices there! if onlyt he locomotive sets would go down. they are already like #90 though, so i think i'm getting near able to afford them.