accessory decoders

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
I have seen plenty of decoders for locos. but have not seen one for accessories. Are they the same thing just wired different or two different things. If they are two differnt things, can some one fill me in on accessory decoders. I want to run my switches off of DCC too. Im trying to figure it all out before I make the jump into DCC. Thanks

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
There is a definite difference. Most DCC manufacturers have them in various configurations. Some control only 1: some up to 6. I can only comment on NCE's SwitchIt because it's the only one I used. It is built for low current devices like the Tortoise or SwitchMaster types. It controls 2 machines each with their own address. You can "daisy chain" them by building a macro command to throw any number of turnouts to reach a particuliar location. In once case, I have 1 address throwing 2 turnouts as both have to be thrown for the two routes possible.

billwv

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia
Hi,

Most decoder makers offer accessory decoders referred to as staionary decoders versus mobile decoders for locomotives. I am planning to use digitrax DS52 to operate PECO machines. I know TCS and others make similar units. Usually they can control slow motion as well as 2 or 3 wire coil types.

Bill