Academy now open for nominations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
The suggestions are all worthy of going to the Academy and I am in favour of moving them all as is Mikey. Are you all in agreement too? This thred will be closed in the next few days so I am anxcious to hear from you before that happens.

P

philip

Hold up!

Academy self nominations should not be accepted. Normally if your work is worthy someone will nominate your efforts. What about a vote from the masses in poll form? Now, after a few yea's all nominations are dumped into the academy. Its not very democratic around here.

just my opinion.
get over it.

Philip

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
They all sound worthy to me. :thumb:

Philip, if there's something you'd like to nominate, go ahead. Likewise, if there's something you don't think should go in, you're welcome to express your opinion on that too. Doesn't get much more democratic than that. :) :)

Val

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
philip said:
Hold up!

Academy self nominations should not be accepted. Normally if your work is worthy someone will nominate your efforts. What about a vote from the masses in poll form? Now, after a few yea's all nominations are dumped into the academy. Its not very democratic around here.

just my opinion.
get over it.

Philip

The last few times we didn't have a poll, and the one time we did have a poll, one of the members suggested to add all the nominations to The Academy. We did. Therefore this time we decided to not go to the trouble of having a poll.

The Academy exists to teach members about building things in model railroads. We think it's a good idea to include all the "nominated threads" because someone will most likly learn from them...no matter who nominates "what thread" :) :) :)

But, like Val said, if you really feel that some of the threads really don't belong in the Academy (don't really teach anything) then PM Robin or Me & we'll consider it.

~~ Thanks!!!

P

philip

Mikey said.......The Academy exists to teach members about building things in model railroads. We think it's a good idea to include all the "nominated threads" because someone will most likly learn from them...no matter who nominates "what thread"

I can view any of these self nominated and member nominated threads and learn something most of the time in the regular forum without even having a academy thread. There is a scratch building thread. Without starting a war I think Shaygetz scratchbuilt traction model was a super great model. Head and shoulders above the water tower. The water tower ladder was incomplete as it transitioned at the top with no railings and the bottom had no capsule for security. Just my opinion. The attachment below may not be a complete tutorial but it has a complete model with a "is it live or is it memorex" look.
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=11457&page=2&pp=15

Again. All the threads teach something and are useful. I think its rather bold to nominate yourself. I think if you strongly believe your tutorial walks the walk then it should be a nominee chosen by the members.

All the threads submitted teach something and are useful.

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
philip, you make a good point but this was not spelled out at the start of the nominations so will certainly keep it in mind for the next time.
Thanks for expressing your concern

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thank you for the nod on my electric loco, Philip. Truth be told, I was very hesitant about offering up my own work and waited four days before I posted. I wanted to keep the tutorial spirit of the Academy that I've enjoyed and so felt I should direct folks toward that over the thread on the impact detection car. My apologies :eek:ops:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
The Academy Forum was started to "Centralize the Tutorial Threads" in one place, Without all the compliments & other things interspersed throughout the thread. Also, putting them in one place that someone would not have to search all over The Gauge to find a thread. These threads can be in any forum, not just Scratching & Bashing, Mine ususally end up in G.

When a thread is moved to the Academy we delete all the "in between" posts and leave "Only" the instructions. That's the difference, we really don't care how a thread gets there - just so it's easy to understand, Tells a "Complete story on how-to build something" and is factual (no extra stuff). That's why I never put limitations on "Who can nominate what". It's supposed to be a Reference Guide, and that's all..... Some people can't look at it like that, I guess. :( :(

It's all there to easily teach someone to copy your work. It's not supposed to be a competition, but something to work toward to improve your modeling skills. And to help the newbies.... Look what I did by copying Robin's Train Shed. It was a huge learning experience for me....

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
OK folks, this is the last day for nominations. If your favourite isn't in the Academy yet and hasn't been proposed here now is your chance.
This thread will be closed as of tomorrow the first of February

Status
Not open for further replies.