AC Power supplies for switches

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Hi Big Al, Some food for thought,my layout has a couple of switches in hidden staging areas. Not wanting to try to replace these when the motors burn out or whatever I used automotive choke cables. Works like a charm, first time every time. Also a heck of a lot cheaper then switch machines. I manually throw the switches in the scenic areas. Cheaper yet and you never have to tear up your scenery fixing busted switches.
Tyson Rayles CEO- Nantahala Midland

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Power supply

Big Al,

I have a twin controller (2 * 12 VDC with controllers) and that has a 17 AC 1.6 AMP output as well that I use for turnouts. However the 1.6 AMPS is only enough to switch 3 turnouts on the same circuit (ie at once) I have a 4 turnout crossover, (plus other turnouts of course) and it is not enough to power all 4 turnout motors on the same circuit, so had to break it into 2 lots of 2. I have not yet put in a capacitor discharge unit, nor any switches. Just touch the wires together briefly. Any transformer with 17 V AC output of at least 1.6 AMPS should be sufficient for your tunouts. Maybe obtained from and electrnics store? I'm using Peco trunouts with the Peco (PL-10, I think) turnout solenoid switches.