AC-130 Spectre

Obscure Photos?

AC-130A model. The H and U have the observation bubble in the door - lower section is the ramp, upper is the door. Rectangular skid plate on the door is just below the join.

P1010015.jpg
P1010016.jpg
P1010017.jpg

Not much to see inside the wheel wells. Wheels are on a single vertical strut that comes straight down on a jack-screw. Inner doors drop to vertical when open and stay close to the wheels, outer door the same (it can be unpinned and opened wide on the ground for mx). I might still have an old -1 around with a diagram; I'll look around.

P1010018.jpg
P1010019.jpg

Yogi

knife

I picked up one of the observation domes from DRMO. It was made of 1/2" thick plexiglass and perfectly clear. My kid loved to sit in it and rock back and forth when he was 5 years old. I was going to make it into an aquarium coffee table, but when I was TDY the wife threw it away. I'll never find another one. Bad wife . . . bad bad wife . . .

peter taft

Good shape, Great props !

The engine looks pretty damn good to me - looks like you've got it well in hand.. look forward to the next up-date :thumb:

Airborne82

Hey, sorry I've been out of the loop for awhile. I had 3 college classes that needed to be finished and now I'm on vacation in Hawaii, but when I get back to Iraq, I'll get right back to this and start posting up some more stuff. Thanks a bunch for the pictures Yogi, I really appreciate it. I'll try and use it to make this beast better. Well, gotta shower now, its almost time for the luau!
Peace

RocketmanTan

For some reason, I've never seen any models available for download that are of the AC-130, despite its popularity. Thank you very much for bringing this to us! :thumb: Hope to see more of this in the future!

--Bryan

Great job so far on this Spooky!

I look forward to when you can get back into her again. This is a subject that's needed some attention for a long time.

WharDemon

Looking forward to the next update on this build, looks like it'll be a fun kit. I think it may even garner the interest my modern warfare2 addicted little bro, since this beast plays a part in that game.

Airborne82

Well everyone, I'm back in Iraq now, so I've got some time to work on this thing. This designing stuff is tough, especially without CAD software.. Trial and error my friends. I've made some progress though, but mostly on the repaint, adding lots of small details that you probably wont even be able to see when its built. I've been trying to get the GAU-12 and M-61's to look right, but the barrels are so small, it's rather challenging. Anyhow, I hope to get something else physically built so I'll have something to show ya'll. Something besides a cool looking engine :) Thanks for the interest guys, I'll try not to dissapoint!
-Chris

Airborne82

I did some more work on the forward nose area today and built a new test build of it, it looks pretty good, I'll to post a picture pretty soon. Designing new landing gear doors and working on the windscreen forward of the twin M61 Vulcan Cannons. It's lookin pretty good, I'm excited :) Those guns are still kickin my butt though... I wish I had a good CAD program, that'd make life so much easier.

I did some more work on the forward nose area today and built a new test build of it, it looks pretty good, I'll to post a picture pretty soon. Designing new landing gear doors and working on the windscreen forward of the twin M61 Vulcan Cannons. It's lookin pretty good, I'm excited :) Those guns are still kickin my butt though... I wish I had a good CAD program, that'd make life so much easier.

Airborne Eighty Deuce, I'm here too. PM me let know where you at.

Adama

Airborne82

Adama - I tried to PM you but it wouldnt let me.

So I did some scratch building today and finally put together an M61 Vulcan. It looks alright, but not perfect yet. I also did a little for some of the other details, but tragedy has struck. The computer hooked to the color printer at work (the ONLY color printer) died... so I cant print off the stuff I'm designing to see if it works. Things are going to be slow going until they get it fixed. I'm still excited about this project though and I hope ya'll are too. I'll be glad when its over and you guys can build something new and fun (and free!!!)

Airborne82

Finally took some pictures of the mock-up I'm working with. This will give you an idea of the size of it, and some of the detail. I used some .032" safety wire for the M61 Vulcan cannon barrels, which I'm not entirely happy with.. its just hard to roll paper that small. I'll figure something out. I designed a new nose landing gear door (not pictured) and a slew of new antenna's to install. I'm still workin on it :) Hope ya'll like what you see thus far.
a3.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/capguy84/a2.jpg
a2.jpg
a1.jpg

Very nice work up. The Vulcan looks pretty good to me. With some experimenting I think you'll find something you like for those small barrels.

All else looks incredible to me. I really like how clear and detailed the markings on the fuselage came out. Outstanding work!

bigfan

Here's a suggestion for the barrels that may make them look a hell of a lot better: Use Toothpicks colored black with a sharpie.

Airborne82

Hey everyone. The printer is fixed and I'm working on Azrael again. It's pretty big :) I can't use toothpicks for the barrels because they're too big, but I think I might be able to roll paper tubes that small if I'm careful (I'm still pretty new at this model stuff). Sorry the edges look so haggard, but I dont have any grey markers or paint out here for fixing them, besides, its just a mock-up. It'll be taking its maiden flight off the top of the hanger before I leave Iraq anyhow, so I don't worry bout it too much. I'm pretty happy with most of it so far, but theres still quite a ways to go. I'll take some pictures of it here pretty soon once the body is all assembled and whatnot... Yep, stay tuned!

i3pm

wow, the Spectre. That's one of my dream planes to build. I so wanted one just like in the Transformers movie shooting at Scorponok from above. Would love to see it completed.