? about waybills

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
60103, that's another good idea for me to consider. What I thought I might do, say I pull a waybill sending a stock car to the stock yard, I would also pull a waybill sending a reefer to the ice house. After one turn(like you suggested) then the waybill would send the reefer to the slaughter house. Not sure yet. Any ideas are always welcome. Thanks for the idea.

Loren

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
grewsome said:
60103, that's another good idea for me to consider. What I thought I might do, say I pull a waybill sending a stock car to the stock yard, I would also pull a waybill sending a reefer to the ice house. After one turn(like you suggested) then the waybill would send the reefer to the slaughter house. Not sure yet. Any ideas are always welcome. Thanks for the idea.

Loren

Why would you need a waybill for a yard move? In my 9 1/2 years as a brakeman we never needed a waybill for a yard move..Yard moves are govern by switch lists and not waybills and ice houses was always located in or by the yard.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
grewsome said:
Brakie, my ice house is on the other side of the layout, close to the stockyard/slaughterhouse.

Loren
As I mention ice house was usually owned by the railroad and the reason they was located in or the yard is because:
Through reefer trains would need to be re-iced en route.
Reefers could be stored until needed then iced.
The ice house was at a very convenient location for switching.

You see meats,produce,fish and other freight that needed to be kept cold was a time sensitive commodity and loaded reefer trains was a high priority freight train and was second only to first class passenger trains.

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Brakie, what you say about the ice house being in the yard makes sense. That's where it origanaly was, but I moved it to make room for a roundhouse. Gotta rethink this whole idea. Thanks for the info.

Loren

kutler

Oct 30, 2007
Hi all, I have a question. On my layout, i have a two track siding, and a one track siding. The two track siding will have stockyards on one track, and a slaughter house on the other track. The other siding will be an ice house.
Now, the question is about waybills. Since the reefers from the slaughter house need to be iced as soon as they are loaded, would I have waybills to move the reefers, or how would that work? Any help would be appreciated.
Loren

Loren:

I was surprised to learn that my railroad, which is a true transcontinal, only had about 12 Icing stations cross country. In all likelyhood your cars would have been pre-iced before arriving at your slaughterhouse, probably at the location where the cars were 'cleaned out' at a major yard prior to billing to your slaughterhouse. If the ice house and the slaughterhouse should be in the same town I'd suggest some way to justify the icehouse's existance. That is dozens of reefers should be iced there and distributed to other facilities offline and only a portion of your cars being destined for the ice house. It's my understanding that a properly iced car can last up to 36 hours in exteme heat without re-icing.

To recap, I'd make the cars go to the icehouse with other cars for icing, then I'd have the cars go back to the yard to be switched out and brought back to the slaughterhouse later. Sound redundant?
That's modelling a railroad.

For your example I'd have a 4 sided waybill. once to the icehouse once to the industry once to the yard, and off to wherever....