???? about structure placement.

ozzy

ok, should i wait to put my track down for good intell i got all my building bought and put togeather.

id think id be in big trouble if i put down branch lines to things and then find out latter that theres no room to set the structures.

Play-Doh

My common rule was track first, just seems natural that since it is a MRR that would be the primary focus.

I would think that structures are easier to move around, as track is more permanent. I would start with track....but thats just me.

ozzy

i was thinking more on like a coal mine or a roundhouse that has to be by track,

with my luck id put the track down, then find out that the roundhouse wont fit becuase a mountain or something is in the way.

Play-Doh

Oh , sorry, I misunderstood.

Major structures like a coal mine, tunnels, and roundhouses could be put down first. HOwever, I would instead mark off the area of these structures on the plywood/foam before laying track instead of physically placing the structures. You are gonna want that extra room around the track when you are ballasting and weathering the rail.

Will_annand

My general rule is structures that require track "IN" them should be placed at the same time the track is laid.

Other structures can be kitbashed into submission.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I usally put the buildings about were I want them first (not glued, just set them there) and lay the track out and see what is needed and were so that I don't run into the problem of laying the track and then the buildings don't fit. Then after I have marked the path of the track, I glue the track down and then glue the buildings and scenery down.

fsm1000

What I did was make a model of my layout so I knew what would fit where.
HOWEVER, if you already have track done I recommend you make mockups of your structures and place them on your layout and leave them a while [month ?] to see if you like them there. Adjusting a cardboard mockup if much easier then the real thing and tons cheaper as well. Then when you are happy with it, lay down your track permanently.

Hope that helps.