ABC's Peugeot 405 T16 1989 Paris Dakar

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by rickstef, Feb 19, 2004.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi All,

The tutorial bug has bitten me also, after following Ron's Mustang and Larry's Cleopatra, I have decided to do the same for cars.

The car is a Peugeot 405 T16, prepared for the 11th Paris Dakar, back in 1989, similar in colors to this picture http://verano-bih.com/sport/slike/g405t16_03.jpg

The kit was part of the ABC Magazine from the Czech Republic, probably from later in the year, and consists of about a page and a third worth of parts, and the rest of the second page is a written discription and an assembly diagram. The scale of the car is 1:32, some 6 to 7 inches long when finished, the paper upon which the kit is printed is very similar to the paper that the big Tatra 8x8 truck was printed on, see http://www.cardmodels.net/mega/thread-view.asp?threadid=484&posts=7, it is a very rag like quality, so care has to be taken when cutting the kit out. You can see below the two sheets I mentioned
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was a bit intimidated to be honest when I got the kit, the kit looks more complicated than it really is, particially due to the parts being so closely packed on the page, but once I started to cut the page up, and actually pile the various pieces, I was relieved to see that I was dealing with some distinct groups, the chassis, wheels and bodywork.

[​IMG]

More to come

Rick
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

After cutting out and piling all the pieces, I started on the chassis, first I scored all the parts, I tend to do this when the pieces are still surrounded by excess paper, one of the reasons I do this is to prevent a corner being ripped off, or a tab.

[​IMG]

Once the pieces are scored and cut out, I fold all the tabs over and test fit the pieces to see if any additional trimming is needed.

[​IMG]

The chassis is done, but I am not completely sure about part 15, the rear end bulkhead, it has some indication about it being joined to part 10, the rear end, I might have to play around with it some more.

[​IMG]

Next, the front end.

More to follow...

Rick
  3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

Well for those who want to see what the real looks like, visit this photo gallery http://www.peugeotperformance.net/gallery/sport/405t16_dakar/405_turbo16_dakar.html

I have some of the Diecast models of the 405, one clad in the Pioneer colors, and one clad in the Camel yellow from the 1990 and 1991 rallies, I also have the plastic kits from Tamiya and Heller, and a metal kit from Bburago.

The specific history on this particular car I am still trying to piece together, maybe a chapter in the future

Rick
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I started on the front end, the windshield and the radiator inset

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The radiator insert is made up of two pieces and actually fits underneath the two cutouts in the hood

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I have started to form the front end with my fingers, gently rounding those sides that need rounding, the fenders and the bumper.

Next up the major body panels, and so other detail work

Rick
    Director of the Paper Dakar
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

The body panels are the biggest part of any car kit, and this is no different, I only have to deal with 4 pieces, the front end, left and right side doors, and the rear end.
    [​IMG]
    The next thing I did was to use a tool, a Le Cron #3, [​IMG] it has a knife end and a tear drop shaped ball at the other, I used the tear drop ball for the shaping of the body panels, I lifted one of the ends up, about the width of my thumb, and I move the tool over the backside of the part, the rear end shows that effect on the rear fenders very well.

[​IMG]

On deck now is putting each of the body panels together, the front end only has 4 glue tab parts, the two along the hood, and the two at the bottom of the bumper. Having used the tool on the front end, helped me when glueing, that way I knew the piece would be in the right place, and no errant scoring would happen when the panels get glued to the hood.

[​IMG]
    More to follow.....

Rick
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Peter H writes:

How is the Pergeot going Rick ??

I've got ramps and car stands out in the workshop if you need them.
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

My next job was to work on the parts that make up the body, the rear end, the sides and the nose, but the nose has been done.
    I started to work on the rear end, the first thing finished were the back bumper, and the two end parts, which were easy to glue because the paper was already formed to the curve, which I described in the last post.

[​IMG]
    Once the rear bumper was glued in place, the rest of the body work was easy to install, the first side was the left side, I started with the roof, and ran to the rear deck lid, and then I went to the side, the flare at the rear was tricky, but once the glue started to tack up, the adjustment was a snap to set in.
    [​IMG]

The side intakes were the last to be glued, and one that was set in place, the side became surprisingly sturdy, and then the right side was added.
    [​IMG]
    The nose assembly was easy, just line up the lines and apply the glue.
    [​IMG]

And to finish the body work, the windshield was installed.
    [​IMG]

More action on the next stage......

Rick
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

rons dad writes:

Nice to see the progression of the building on the peugeot.It reminds me of the many kilometres I drove with the family thru most of western europe in our Peugeot 404 station wagon and Ron was always there too_Of course it wasn't a rally car but it was a real good touring car. Bruce
  9. Corporal_Trim

Corporal_Trim Member

Nice thread, Rick. I'm enjoying following the progress of your build. One suggestion for future tutorials, if you can zoom in a little closer here and there, it makes it easier to visualize your text explanations.

You're not kidding, they didn't waste any excess paper on the parts sheets, did they ? Looks like one little slip-up with the scissors and you're slicing into the next part over. :shock:

Look forward to seeing the completed Peugeot. :)
  10. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Steve and others,

Sorry for the delay in finishing this kit, other models got my attention, i do want to finish this car.

on a side note, i have been able to get close to 1/32 scale with a print of the De Rooy Dakar trucks(the ones you might see in the background in the pictures above)

More Action to follow..............