ABC Warrior from Judge Dredd

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by xyberz, Jan 28, 2007.

1. xyberz

xyberz Member

It would be awesome if there was a model of this monster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like one helluva mean killing machine. To me it looks like it would eat the T-800 Endoskeleton from Terminator for lunch. Although I do love the T-800 & the T-1000 from the movie. The latest model from T3 is pretty cheesy.
  2. Regie

Regie Member

Y'know, I'd forgotten that Hammerstein (for 'tis he) was in that awful Dredd movie. Somewhere I have a model of him, cut from the comic 2000AD a loooooong time ago. It's of the 2-D stand up variety, but if I can track it down I'll post a scan. (It's long out of print, and of zero re-sale valueso I don't think there are any copyright issues there, 2000AD tends not to mind about that sort of thing.)

That said - designing such a beast in full 3-D is well beyond my capability, but if somebody were to take on the job I'd certainly be interested.
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Here is an interesting page about Chris Hall, the conceptual artist who drew the Hammerstein creature in the comic books and designed the robot for the movie as well.

Yes, somebody is trying to help you find something here!:wink:

http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/604.html

Russell
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

A couple of pics from the page.

Attached Files:

5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

another one

Attached Files:

6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

one more

Attached Files:

7. xyberz

xyberz Member

Awesome for the info and pics. I figured someone would help out as this community is a very close group and always ready and willing to help.

I know that I will always contribute in any way that I can.

I like the picture of the robot sitting on the ground as I can see it has very LARGE feet which would be excellent for paper modeling as you can stick in some type of weight to hold that sucker down.

Looks like another thing that I'll be adding to my project list, hehe.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'm still looking too. The biggest problem is that, according to the site I mentioned, Chris Hall designed and built this thing by hand.
    There is only one and it is based loosely around the Hammerstein comicbook character that he drew as well.
    He pretty much just developed him as he made him so that explains the scarcity of reference material.

I'm still trying to see what else I can find for you.

Russell
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Attached Files:

10. David H

David H Member

Hammerstien pre-dates 2000AD by a good 6 months and was first - to my limited knowledge- in Starlord comic c. 1978.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlord

Enjoy....

The ABC Warrirs came a year or two later in 2000AD and once again there were loads of robot characters, good and bad. It was all very WW2 with robots but hey, it was fun!

D
  11. xyberz

xyberz Member

Very good info. I like the way the whole thing looks. I'd love to build an army of those or a diorama of a war scene featuring those robots in a war torn world.

That would be pretty awesome.
  12. Regie

Regie Member

True - but the version of Hammerstein that featured in Starlord was the Ro-Busters version with a different head. In fact, the version of Hammerstein that featured in the Dredd Movie didn't really see action until Simon Bisley's innovative take on the ABC Warriors in the late eighties.

And yes - it was huge <i>huge</i> fun. I always enjoyed classic ABC Warriors.

What? Me? Comics geek?

(Oh, and in terms of being useful, I can scan and send any amount of visual reference material from the original comics, if that's any help. Just say the word...)
  13. xyberz

xyberz Member

Nice history about the robot. Not to cut you guys short or anything but I'm really only interested in the one seen in the movie, unless the originals happened to look even better! Then maybe even both would be nice if they're different, hehe.
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

After the original invention of the warriors, the Hammerstein went through many changes and different artists to progress to where it was at in the movie.

This first shot is at conception.

Attached Files:

• ham2.jpg
      ham2.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Each of the following shots are from different artists as the comic progresses.

Attached Files:

• ham3.jpg
      ham3.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Starting to look better, in my opinion.

Attached Files:

17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Here he is just before Chris gets his shot at him.

Attached Files:

18. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

And finally this is the artists rendition who has taken over after Chris and you can see he has progressed this character even further.

IMHO, the one from the movie is the best.

Russell

Attached Files:

19. xyberz

xyberz Member

I definitely like the movie version the best out of all the revisions leading up to that one.

The others seem too much like a robotic exo-skeleton body suit type of deal.

I like the movie version cause it has that fantastic raw mechanical look and feel to it. You know that it's pure machine and that no human could fit inside to control it.

Not that I don't like exo-skeleton designs or anything either. Some of my favorite japanese animations feature robotic exo-skeletons to help enhance their abilities and strength.
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

You are quite correct, the original conception, which stayed true to concept all the way until the movie, was that it was a man in an exoskeleton.

When Chris designed the robot on the movie set, they quickly discovered that this was not possible to portray.

Russell